I have a new Linksys Wireless-G WAP. I'm trying to figure out how to set it up so that rather than all surfing traffic on the network showing up as the Static IP that is assigned to the WAP, I'd like it to just appear blocked.

Any thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I have a new Linksys Wireless-G WAP. I'm trying to figure out how to set it up so that rather than all surfing traffic on the network showing up as the Static IP that is assigned to the WAP, I'd like it to just appear blocked.

Any thoughts?

Ok, your title states: "Hiding IP addy for WAN traffic?"

To my knowledge, your not going to be able to do this, the best you can do is encrpyt the data no?

Whether or not your ip is static or dynamic, there isn't going to be a way to hide the ip itself. That is unless your using a proxy, but that would be for surfing only.

As long as you have a firewall it should show up as "blocked". Or if your router doesn't accept pings and drops them on inpact the rest of the world should assume your ip is as an unplugged computer or non-existent/unassigned.

Right?

Ok, your title states: "Hiding IP addy for WAN traffic?"

To my knowledge, your not going to be able to do this, the best you can do is encrpyt the data no?

Whether or not your ip is static or dynamic, there isn't going to be a way to hide the ip itself. That is unless your using a proxy, but that would be for surfing only.

As long as you have a firewall it should show up as "blocked". Or if your router doesn't accept pings and drops them on inpact the rest of the world should assume your ip is as an unplugged computer or non-existent/unassigned.

Right?

Yeah. Just have it drop all ICMP requests, and it'll never be pingable.

Yeah. Just have it drop all ICMP requests, and it'll never be pingable.

That's how I have my router, and my firewall. Just incase those crafty hackers come up with something to fool the SPI at the router.:cool:

[off topic]
I'm telling ya, Sygate is highly underestimated, except in the hacker scene. Everyone spouts off about how good zone alarm is, but they fail to mention there have been exploits for ZA in the past, and there will more than likely be more to come in the future. To my knowledge, Sygate has no known exploits to date.[/off topic]

Edit:

Actually, VPN's can be established over the public internet.

You couldnt of said it better SNOW :lol:

Sorry if my original post wasn't made clear...

on my site/sites, I have a logging function that I've created that pulls the IP of the users on the site. (REMOTE_ADDR). I use it for some simple info on reverse DNS, for the purpose of seeing what type of internet connections users are browsing my site on, since the purpose is to locate a new ISP at the site.

Long story short, I've seen tons of blocked IPs in the system some show up as 0.0.0.0, others as a bunch of + signs.

I'll look at the suggestions here.... an I do appreciate them... but I've just now set up a Direcway DW6000 system, so the Linksys is just inside of that, and I'm still new to the config on the DW6000. (YES, that was my only real option for high-speed. :( )

So with the new equip that appears to be very unconfigurable to the end user... <searches for a hammer> I'll have to do some experimentation.

Thanks!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.