Have any questions about novell? Want to get started with it? Want to make fun of it telling me that NT is better? Make a post! I'm the resident Novell expert!

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

My network:
linksys wireless 4 prt switch which is connected to 3 comps, 2 wireless, 1 wired

server = my.desktop("p3600.crap")... lol, just started writing "server =" and continuted

My server is my desktop, p3 600, 256 mb, crap, crap, and well, some more crap

Okay! :D I just created a new category for bragging rights! Share your PC specs in the Hardware forum under the PC Specs category.

Just bored...

I'm taking a Novell Class much means DevilDawg going to be using your brian 24/7 questions here and questions there. Be ready for me TekM

The more questions the better..... and you goin for your CNE? Tell me if they're training you with NetWare 5.1 or NetWare 6. Real cool mad_dog!

I'm really seriously impressed by your knowledge in Novell I got a book today $60 bucks 5.0/5.1 for some reason not 6 but I don't care. The Class goes through Novell and Wide Area Network Management. Going to start reading yay! but all my questions will go to you TEK.

Dont worry... NW6 is virually the same is 5, but with 2 more main features "iPrint" and "iFolder" (iFolder comes with NW6, and is available as an add-on to NW5).

I have a copy of Novell 4.02. How do I install it? and also I downloaded the trial version of 6.0 from novell that last like 60 or 90 days. How do I install them? and Can novell go online my dad is taking a course and said the older versions can't but he wasn't sure about the newer versions

Novell is an intresting system to say the least, and your miniunm specs to run 6.0 are crazy (256 megs of ram MININUM! any less and it will run slower than windows XP on a 486 )

You need to have a copy of dos to boot from to install it :)

Novell is an intresting system to say the least, and your miniunm specs to run 6.0 are crazy (256 megs of ram MININUM! any less and it will run slower than windows XP on a 486 )

You need to have a copy of dos to boot from to install it :)

...Yeah, but think about it. Novell's targets for Netware 6 are people who really need the power Novell puts out. I mean, I've been told that Formula One racers use Novell to monitor their cars! Since anything can be represented as a leaf in an NDS tree, they can use Netware to poll sensors all throughout the car, in real time. That's not a use most people would encounter, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Also, most people don't realize that Netware is a Network Operating System. The question about Netware being able to "go online" is a great example. You can put a Netware 5.x/6.x server on the internet, and I think there's a TCP/IP stack available for some earlier versions (correct me if I'm wrong), but to my knowledge there's not a web browser or any other client application available for Netware. But, once it's on the internet, it can certainly make an excellent web/FTP/database/file/whatever server you'd want it to be. Unlike Microsoft's current server offerings, you can't really use Netware as a daily desktop, ie, mail, web, word processing, etc.

...That's what I'm aware of, at least.

Also, most people don't realize that Netware is a Network Operating System. The question about Netware being able to "go online" is a great example. You can put a Netware 5.x/6.x server on the internet, and I think there's a TCP/IP stack available for some earlier versions (correct me if I'm wrong), but to my knowledge there's not a web browser or any other client application available for Netware. But, once it's on the internet, it can certainly make an excellent web/FTP/database/file/whatever server you'd want it to be. Unlike Microsoft's current server offerings, you can't really use Netware as a daily desktop, ie, mail, web, word processing, etc.

As of NetWare 6.1, there is a web browser ;-). It's Java based; and it's mostly used for reading HTML Based documentation (not on the Internet). It would be a pretty poor browser to use for everyday purposes :p .

While Novell is great, Windows Server 2003 is pretty nice ;-). What should companies use? The right tool for the job. 'nuff said.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.