Heya guys....

I need to add two machines to our domain. They're going to be streaming audio from two radio stations. The data is going to be uploaded to Liquid Compass, who is the company that managing our streams and what not.

Now, I need to assign a static IP for each of those machines. My question is, how do I go about assigning them the static IP's. I was told to go onto the domain controller and use the DNS mmc snap in to do this. But when I do this, the only things listed under DNS is Forward Lookup Zones, Reverse Lookup Zones, Root Hints, and Forwarders. I was originally under the impression that I would have to set a static IP under the DHCP snap in.

Anyway, I'm at a loss where to set this at. The Domain Controller is running Windows 2003 Server. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Are you running a DHCP server in the mix, here?

What you have to do is add the addresses, along with the systems' MAC addresses, into the reserved address pool in the DHCP configuration. Then, if you have a specific hostname that you want to give those machines, you'd do that in the DNS server configuration. They're two different areas, and each have to be looked at. You were right, though-- it is done via the DHCP snap-in.

Are you running a DHCP server in the mix, here?

What you have to do is add the addresses, along with the systems' MAC addresses, into the reserved address pool in the DHCP configuration. Then, if you have a specific hostname that you want to give those machines, you'd do that in the DNS server configuration. They're two different areas, and each have to be looked at. You were right, though-- it is done via the DHCP snap-in.

Yes, we are running DHCP.

Actually what I did to fix this, which was a lot simpler than I though it would be, was this...

I didn't even have to mess with anything on the server side. All I had to do was set the ip's on the two machines with IP's outside of the reserved pool of addresses for dhcp.

Since dhcp on our network has a pool of address's between, for example, 192.168.6.100 - 192.168.6.200.... All I had to do to give those two other machines a static ip was to set one with 98 and one with 99.

Follow me?

That was the easy way to do it.

Follow me?

That was the easy way to do it.

Absolutely. That is probably the easiest way to do it. Here's my thing, though:

What if you happened to reinstall the OS on one of those machines, or change a config? If you reserved the address on the DHCP server, you'd be hands-off on the TCP/IP configuration on that system. If you ever needed to change that IP address, you could do so server-side, and push through an IP address lease expiration.

It's some work on the front end, but it makes life a little easier on the back end. Both results are equally valid, though. Great job!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.