Well...I'm new here and i'd like to ask some of u all about my problem

I got a wireless Double 108 mbps NETGEAR router... hooked up to a Cable Modem

2 desktop PCs....1 with a Zyxel 54 mbps adapter and the other one is directly connected to the NETGEAR router....

And 2 laptops..... 1 with a built in Wireless adapter...and the other one has 108 mbps wireless adapter....

All I want to do is set up a great network (with ur help) and be able to

1) Play Lan games
2) send/share files
3) and be able to still connect to the internet

If some of u could pls help me ..i'd be very happy

Thanks ...

I just want to verify that these are what i got
- WINDOWS XP ON ALL COMPUTERS
-a wireless Double 108 mbps NETGEAR router
-Cable modem
- a desktop pc with 1 with a Zyxel 54 mbps adapter
- a desktop pc that's connected to router via lan
- a laptop wiht built in wireless
- a laptop with a 108 mbps wireless

Thanks ...

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If you want to use the network for Lan Game and File Sharing, you'll need to configure your router. Will ALL computers do the same or some you will use for somethings and the other for others??

See, what I do is I assign Static IP addresses to my machines and configure the router (TURNING OFF DHCP) then Port forward to each IP accordingly... like the Lan Game Ports to the computer you want to play with, and file sharing to the file sharing and so fort. What do you think??

Well ... i want to be able to do everything in each computer...meaning... i got 4 computers and i wanna be able to play each other .(4 players in a game). and I also want to be able to send files to each other over the network

If setting IPs a good way to do this, could you tell me how i should do that?

Hello there...I think u should change it to LAN cable coz the wireless dont have the periodic output because it operate by wave.If u want to try and experience it. I have a little advise here.
1. Use your pc desktop and by using the manual that provide by the manufacturer, set id and password that you get from Telco.

2. In same site.Find the tcp ip configuration.ex : start ip : 192.168.1.1 end ip : 192.168.1.20. Please do not use assigned by dhcp.Set your subnet mask, Ex : 255.255.255.0 and your gateway now is 192.168.1.1 if u follow the above number.Fill up the dns number that provide by telco.Set the workgroup for your network at //my network places//network task//set up a new network for home or office<<directory.Ex:workgroup:homepc
3.For the pc that use the wifi card or the usb wireless card,1st install the software driver on the computer.After finish,right click on icon my wireless network or sumting like dat. Configure the ip address,subnet mask,gateway and your dns.
Ex: Ip address : 192.168.1.(4) - change on () range 2-20
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS : 202.188.0.133
202.188.1.5 >>>>>>>>Provide by Telecom Malaysia

Set the workgroup for the computer : homepc

3.Follow the step above and u can sharing,play pcgames(not get the full satisfaction) and connect to internet

Hi PclubBbanger,

You didn't mention whether or not any of the computers currently have an Internet connection, or if any of them can already connect to one or more of your other computers. I'm going to presume that you don't have any connectivity, but please let us know for sure. The way that I would approach the problem is as if there was no connectivity to the Internet at all, and that none of the computers can connect to each other, and troubleshoot in a clean-sheet, step-by-step process. I would take it one computer at a time, starting with getting all of the computers connected to the Internet through the router first, then getting them to share files, and lastly getting the gaming to work. Towards this end I would set the LAN computer (the one connected with a cable directly to the router) as a baseline, by taking these steps:

1) do a normal power down on all computers - I would also recommend that you logoff of each user before shutting down each computer;

2) power down the router and the cable modem by unplugging their power cords - not simply hibernating them or using a power button if it/they have one;

3) unplug and re-plug each LAN cable end (RJ-45) running from the cable modem to the router, and the router to the desktop that is, once again, cabled directly to the router (Let's call this desktop "L" [for LAN]?);

4) then power up ONLY the cable modem and wait 'til it shows connectivity to your ISP - naturally the indicator(s) showing connectivity to your PC/LAN should still be off;

5) then power up ONLY the router, and wait one FULL minute (OK, 30 seconds WILL work, but don't cut it less than that) - going longer won't hurt - at this point, depending on the make and model, the cable modem still may not show a connection to the ISP, but don't worry about it unless the next step fails;

6) then turn on desktop "L" - once it's at your desktop - where you can access your icons - test your internet connection by doing a search on whatever your favorite/most easily accessible search engine is (if you just bring up a regular web page you run the risk of bringing it up from your computer's memory even if you haven't been there for awhile; if you do a web search, and get results, that's a definitive positive test for connectivity);

7) once you've either confirmed connectivity, or the lack there of, information from this first computer is needed to help troubeshoot this computer's lack of connectivity - should that be the case, and/or to help configure and/or troubleshoot connections of your other computers, as follows:

a) click "start" and then "Control Panel", then, if it says "Pick a category" in large text click on the link that says "Performance and Maintenance" at the bottom left, and then the link that says "System" at the very bottom right hand corner, otherwise, if you just see a bunch of icons, look for the "System" icon towards the bottom of the window and double click on it, now, regardless of which way you opened the System utility, look for the tab across the top that says "Computer Name", once here record two bits of information:
i) "Full computer name"
ii) "Workgroup"
then close both the System utility and the Control Panel utility;

b) then one other bit of information is needed, which can be located by clicking "start", then "My Computer", then "My Network Places" and then "View network connections", at this point some icons will show up in the right-hand pane and you'll need to right-click the icon for the adapter being used to connect to the router, which will launch a pop-up menu. On the pop-up menu you'll need to left click "Properties", which will launch the Properties utility window. In the Properties window make sure that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" has a check-mark next to it (if not, just click the empty box once to put one there), and then just close the window.

8) click "start" and then "Run..." and then type "cmd" (without the quote marks) and either hit "enter" on the keyboard or click the "OK" button to launch a console window (looks remarkably similar to the old style DOS prompt/command line window ;) );

9) (this part is really a continuation of step 8) but it's a little cumbersome so I'm breaking it up into two sections) now, in this window, you'll see a line that says something to the effect of "Microsoft WindowsXP [Version x.x.xxxx]", then "(C) Copyright 1985-xxxx Microsoft Corp.", then a space, and then something like "C:\Documents and Settings\Yourname>" - don't concern yourself with the top two lines, but on the third displayed line (4th, if you count the line space) if it says anything other than just "C:\>" (called the "C-prompt") type "cd.." (once again, without the quote marks) and hit "enter" on the keyboard - you may need to repeat those two steps several times until the last line shows only "C:\>" (no quotes), lastly, for this step, type "cls" (no quotes) and hit "enter" on the keyboard - this should clear the window (screen) of everything except for the c-prompt and a blinking cursor;

10) from here type in "ipconfig/all" (no quotes) and hit "enter", and then copy down EVERYTHING that you see here so that you can post this information if you need further troubleshooting with your connection.

Now, finally, we're ready to try connecting another computer! I would start with the second desktop (desktop "W" - for wireless?), but you could start with any of the other computers besides desktop "L" (laptop "A" - for 108 MbpS adapter? and laptop "B" - for built-in-wireless?) - just let us know which specific computer you're tackling next [should you choose to follow these instructions ;) ], then perform steps 6) through 10) above for this computer as well {the "Workgroup" name - under step 7) - MUST be the same for all of the computers that you want to be able to share files between, if nothing else; if the "Workgroup" name for this computer is different, you'll need to run the network setup utility by clicking "start", then "My Computer", then "My Network Places" and then "Set up a home or small office network", thence following the prompts of the set-up wizard} - and then re-test, if necessary, at the conclusion of step 10).

Well, this should get you started if nothing else! ;) Good Luck and let us now how it goes! :cool:

WOOW ...AMAZING HELP !!! thank u /.. i will try this over the weekend

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.