ok someday i would like to host some webpages. and start a company but i was jst curious right now how do you keep tract of the data transfer. this has jst been one of those things that is bothering me. :)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

The dedicated server that you buy will keep the stats for each client (they have software for that).

Dani, I know. He isn't going to buy a server and host it on location. He's going to buy a server from a dedicated place. If he does, the dedicated place will have stuff that monitors it for you.

I think I'm a lil confused. It seems to me that big_k doesn't want to pay a webhost to serve his website. Rather, he wants to open his own web hosting company. And lets say he has clients that he advertises 100mb to, for example. He wants to know how he can keep tabs on all his clients.

Well, if this is a Linux/Unix server, each client would have a user account on the system, and the server operating system, itself, can set quotas. In addition, Apache to the best of my knowledge can handle some light permissions/quotas. You would need to invest money into a more robust statistics tracker to manage a large number of accounts, however.

Yup. Most host providers that you go with have an administrative page that you go to for settings. The bandwidth stats are usually on the home page so you know how much you're getting. They also include more advanced stats that you can check out like how many people you're getting per month/day/week/year/etc., what browsers, etc. All this usually comes with whatever package you go for and it's easy to use.

If your host provides you with cpanel, you can login and view your bandwidth stats on the first screen :-D

ok someday i would like to host some webpages. and start a company but i was jst curious right now how do you keep tract of the data transfer. this has jst been one of those things that is bothering me. :)

I use shell, and command line coding, but there are lots of wysiwyg control panels that will do this

M agree with maven. for that there is a software.

Regards,
Raicol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.