Metasploit was meant to be one of the things to go through of my course Practical Network Security, that took place in June this year. However, the course was ruined a bit as a company that was meant to teach us didn't show up and the teachers had to do day to day schedules to cover the course with some basic things and we didn't get to play around with quite many things that we were promised to. However, I just came across This video of how to gain access to windows 8 using Metasploit. I am wondering would that also work for windows 7? or Linux? Why?

Also, I guess its one of the Must Know things to be a pentester, so I guess i'll have to learn to use it, therefore, if you have/know any good guides, please DO share it/them :)

Also, I guess its one of the Must Know things to be a pentester

I wouldn't say it's a must know thing, depending on the kind of pentesting you're hired to do. It doesn't hurt though, and if anything it does give you a good way to learn how to organise your software.

so I guess i'll have to learn to use it

Look at the official documentation instead of some script kiddies video. Also, practice adding your own exploits to the framework (even if their old or non existant) to get a feel of the machanisms of the framework.

I am wondering would that also work for windows 7? or Linux? Why?

Metasploit is a framework that manages exploits (think of them almost like plugins). There is no restriction on the kind of exploits that may be included. Thus, the only restrictions on the target OS's is the capabilities of the exploit itself.

The one in the video will not work on any updated computer (for people who don't want to watch it, it's a java applet that the user needs to run based on some fixed exploits). However, if you intentianally made a Windows 7 VM vunerable to the attack, it would probably work.

commented: Thanks =) +4
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.