Please help a poor computer virgin I have two PC's networked to each other by network cable (one has XP Pro and the other has XP Home) and I am using a D-Link wireless router and Blueyonder cable internet.
Both computers are able to connect to the net but I cant get them to see each other and share files, I want to be able to play two player games with my son it's the reason I bought a second PC and second copys of our favorite games.
the message I keep getting is - computer is not accessable. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.
I have no idea what any of this means and no clue how to fix it.

well you have to be in the same workgroup. to do this right click on my comptuer, go to computer name tab and then click change. change the workgroup name to whatever you want, just make sure you do this with both comptuers. to share files, make a folder in one computer with all the files you want to share, then right click on it and click the sharing tab, click on share this folder and click ok. then go to my network places, and on the side click on workgroup computers. click on the computer which has the shared folder and you should be able to get into it. if it asks you for a password, then type in the comp's admin's password.

what kind of games are you going to play?

if you want to play age of empiers or starcraft, make sure you have the latest patches installed. newer games usually just work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.