Router help

I have a Linksys 3 port router which I installed about 3 years ago.

I have a friend who is going to buy one and is now on Cable DSL.

I can't remember what I need to do on the "software" side to install it.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'm not sure what you mean by "the software side" but assuming you mean configurations, it all depends on your ISP. If your ISP is giving you your IP settings, "address,subnet mask,default gateway, and DNS servers" automatically using DHCP then you don't really have to do anything, in a simple setup you can just plug it in. Otherwise, if they sent a sheet with those as fixed values for you to configure then you'll just have to enter them in the router.

I have a friend who is going to buy one and is now on Cable DSL.

Which one is it? Cable or DSL?

This makes a difference as you may be required to enter a password for DSL, but with cable, you typically do not need to.

Simple just install the software that came with it. Have your ISP run you threw it seriously not rocket science. As for bentkey are you certified in NT? 2000? or 2003?

Alc, I think you have that reversed. Cable is a "shared medium" but DSL isn't.

MD, "NT" but I try to keep up. No time to spend everytime MS decides the world needs a new product. ;) Why?

Just curious. I feel you on that! I am certified for 2000.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.