Mesh system built Oct 2006.
AMD 64 AM2 cpu, Asus M2n32-sli deluxe motherboard, 2 x 1gb kit PC2 7200 OCZ2N9002GK Dual CH EPP 4.4.3.15 DDR2 memory, NVidia Geforce 7950 GX2 graphic card, PSU HEC 550w.
My Son dragged this wreck - sorry rig - home this Christmas when he said the hard drive caught a virus.
When I turned it on, all fans and panel lights started, and speaker emitted 1 long beep followed by 2 fast beeps. No post. Nothing on the screen.
I stripped all the plugs out and restored just the memory, graphics card, fans, front panel connectors, CPU, monitor, and of course the PSU.
On power up, it still emitted the same beep codes.
Powered down, removed both memory sticks.
Replaced one stick at a time in both A1 and B1 yellow slots. Each time trying to startup the system. Only with one stick in B1 slot did the single beep sound and the screen lightup with the Asus Lifestyle splash screen. "Press del or tab to continue....." but of course there was no keyboard attached. So I assume the GC and Mobo is OK.
Powered down, attached keyboard, powered up. No beep. No post.
Powered down, removed keyboard, powered up. No beep. No post.
Powered down, removed memory, powered up, got 1 long, 2 short beeps. No post.
Powered down, replaced this same stick in the same B1 slot, powered up, got 1 beep and the Asus splash screen.
I RTM for the mobo and tried clearing the rtc cmos ram. no change.
Obviously faulty memory in part, but what else - PSU?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Beep codes vary from one manuf. to another so I would consult the system board's web site for exact readings.
You're right on the faulty ram, also, just because the ram fits doesn't necessarily mean that it's the right kind.
PSU is also a good guess but, again, I'd check with the board's manuf. as to beep codes before I attack with a handy screwdriver.
Another possibility is the BIOS chip itself, while this is rare it does happen and getting another is usually a pain not worth the effort.

hi flash, normally if there's a beep sound as folks said its a RAM problem, but sometimes it isn't the problem as Mechbas stated already. But its quite practical doing easy things first try using another RAM and if possible you try to reseat your processor check if it will help...

hi flash, normally if there's a beep sound as folks said its a RAM problem, but sometimes it isn't the problem as Mechbas stated already. But its quite practical doing easy things first try using another RAM and if possible you try to reseat your processor check if it will help...

So, thanks for the advice. I replaced both sticks of RAM. Booted up. Single beep. POST ok.
The obvious solution worked. Don't you just know it!

i have the same mobo with the wirless edition, never had a problem installing, but base on what you stated it must be the momory, also it is recommeded that you install fro the A1 slots first, if you are using only one pair or a single memory stick.

i have the same mobo with the wirless edition, never had a problem installing, but base on what you stated it must be the momory, also it is recommeded that you install fro the A1 slots first, if you are using only one pair or a single memory stick.

Yes. A1 OR B1, then A1 AND B1, then AND BOTH A2, B2. The manual is clear about this.
The odd thing was during diagnosis, one of the two sticks allowed a POST beep in B1 (but this boot halted at that point) but not in A1. The other stick did not work in either A1 or B1. Renew the memory and dont rely on one old stick!

i have wifi version ha and canot get my pny 8500gt's either in sli or singularly to work i cannot get any video output at all i have tried an old pci card to which did not work either have tried removing memory chips and booting up when i do so no bleeps or anything HELP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.