Hello

I've an issue trying to load up a home video from my Camcorder onto my Sony Vaio laptop.

I've got the dv cable and have connected it all properly. Apparently, I was supposed to get a 'wizard' telling me that new hardware had been connected/add. I never got this wizard and when I go to upload my film onto the computer using DV gate, it says that the i.link (Sony's brand name for dv) is offline.

It's not but it's as if the computer doesn't know that the camcorder is connected. Is there anyway of making it go from Offline to Online and making the two things 'talk' to each other.

If not, is there anything else I can do/get in order to upload my film on to my laptop for editing.

All advice and help welcome and appreciated.

Richard

I was advised elsewhere:

"If you open Device Manager (Start > Run type devmgmt.msc > OK) on the Sony what does it show against the DV port (Windows might call it Firewire or IEEE 1394)? Or is it even listed?

If it is listed but the icon has a yellow ! over it then there is a problem, which would explain why the camera isn't recognised. If it isn't listed then it may be disabled in the BIOS."

I've done as suggested and I have 2 controllers listed in a drop down menu

The first: OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller has the yellow ! as descibed above.

The second: Sony CDX3222 OHCI i.LINK (IEEE 1394) PCI Host Controller doesn't have anything.

What does this mean? Is there something wrong and can it be fixed?

If not, can I get something to work around the problem?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.