Hey all, slight hardware/Windows related problem I'm really hoping someone might be able to help me with.

Basically I've assembled a new computed from parts purchased separately (all parts are working as I have tested them separately) - except for a hard drive which I have taken from my previous computer.

Now I can get to BIOS, but as soon as I try and get a step further to Windows, I get the message saying 'Windows could not boot up due to a recent hardware change... yadda yadda yadda...', and gives me the options of starting with last known good config, starting normally and such. I've tried all options, but I just keep getting the same screen.

I'm literally tearing my hair out trying to figure out what exactly it is that is stopping me from getting in to Windows... does anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks all!

Mike

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hey all, slight hardware/Windows related problem I'm really hoping someone might be able to help me with.

Basically I've assembled a new computed from parts purchased separately (all parts are working as I have tested them separately) - except for a hard drive which I have taken from my previous computer.

Now I can get to BIOS, but as soon as I try and get a step further to Windows, I get the message saying 'Windows could not boot up due to a recent hardware change... yadda yadda yadda...', and gives me the options of starting with last known good config, starting normally and such. I've tried all options, but I just keep getting the same screen.

I'm literally tearing my hair out trying to figure out what exactly it is that is stopping me from getting in to Windows... does anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks all!

Mike

Windows xp doesn't like it when you change the motherboard ,if you had winxp loaded You will need to re-install winxp for a quick fix .

Sounds like you just used the same hard drive but did not reinstall XP, is that correct? If so then that is your whole problem, when changing motherboards the best thing to do in all cases is to reload the OS, if not then your just asking for trouble and in XP's case you will not be able to boot at all (I was once told that if you remove the IDE controllers before changing systems it will work but it never did when I tried it).

yea, just dont use the roll back, otherwise it will isntall wrong drivers for wrong hardware and will make a mess if you do get it working... you're lucky it even got into windows, it quite often gts to the windows loading, then crashes

This is one of the few times I'd recommend trying a repair reinstallation of Windows. I've had success with 2k/XP in these situations. Try doing a forum search for information there.

Sorry, format and fresh install is the go for this situation. There is a way to 'trick' the Windows installation into thinking it hasn't been moved, which involves a refresh install, but if you allow the system to try booting before you do it then it's too late!

Not worth the effort of trying to resurrect it, I'm afraid. Format and start over.

Windows XP is designed not to work if you change motherboards, because of anti-piracy protection methods.

why not use windows repair? works in these situations..

If you've swapped a Windows XP hard drive into a new system, or changed a motherboard as an upgrade, which is effectively the same thing, a repair install isn't guaranteed to work. In fact, if you've allowed the system to attempt booting to Windows BEFORE performing the repair install your chances of success are lessened.

It might work, but it likely won't. The best chance of success is to fit the hard drive and immediately boot from the Windows CD and effect the repair before booting into Windows from the hard drive.

Format and fresh install is the way Windows XP is designed to deal with the situation, and by far the best approach to take.

I have a good one. I have never run into this before and have been building PC's for years. I pieced a new system together. I have tested all components. I have loaded WIN XP Home and Pro. No matter which one I use after the install and when the PC boots back up to install windows it goes right back to Boot from CD and tried to re-install again. Any ideas out there?

remove the disk at the end of the dos-type part of the install

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.