Hey,

So my actual laptop, that I've got right now, which is i3 quad-logical core, 4GB RAM and Intel HD 4000. Is kinda getting outdated. It's time to buy new one. Now I know this laptop is pretty, low, when it comes to advanced user, if I even can call myself one, I didn't actually choose it because of power, more because it was few days before new school, it was -50% sale and the specs didn't look bad on first blink.

How badly have I mistake myself in the last one. Well, nonetheless, within next month, or rather, within last month, I sought for a good high-end laptop. Mostly it will be hardcore gaming, intense physics simulation, 3D and 2D rendering, parallax (virtual machine-like program) and programming.

So I know that for last there is no real calculation power required. But, just to make list complete, I just put it there just in case. So, I found following laptop: Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz Quad-DIMM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 880M.

I know it can handle tasks mentioned above, but for how long? I mean, sooner or later, this laptop is about to become outdated as well. I know that most of you also had super computer at home, and now, 20 years or more later, they'd lose in chess against calculator. When will this "super computer" change it's status into "switch requiremental". 3 years, 5 years?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My Dell D630 (dual core 3GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200 rpm HD, 1Gbps ethernet, bluetooth, wifi, HD display) is 8+ years old and still handles all my embedded programming, virtual machines, video processing, and software development chores without complaint. The audio stopped working recently, so I may have to replace it sometime soon... :-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.