Does anyone know if there is an internal PCI-express card on the market with SATA-connections where you could put your old 3.5'' HDDs ?
There are a lot of SSDs on the market for this purpose, but I have some special needs.. :-)

Re: PCI-e to SATA 3.5'' HDD internal 80 80

Seems to be from 30 to thousand dollar ones out there.
https://www.google.com/search?q=l+PCI-express+card+on+the+market+with+SATA-&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=PCI-express+card+on+the+market+with+SATA

But reading your post literally, no card seems to hold the 3.5" drives. Are you sure about that requirement?

There are a lot of PCI-e cards with SATA-connections, but none of them seems to hold the 3.5'' drives.
And that is (ufortunately) what I want right now... :-(

So it must "hold" the 3.5? The 3.5 in such systems is usually mounted to the case since the weight of an average 3.5 HDD is such that, well, that's not a good idea. Time to hit your workbench and make a bracket?

You have a point...
Maybe I should reject the whole idea and use the 3.5'' HDD as they are today.
I just wonder if there was any solution to this "problem" somewhere...

I think the solution is to make a bracket for your unique system. I see that the normal PCIe connection is x1 so the strain on the PCB would be too high for a commercial off the shelf board. Now that you can't count on the lenght of the board to be exactly a number of mm, it's back to your shop bench to cut your mount to just the right size.

Well, it's not that important... I won't use my time (and money) to create a unique solution "all by myself".
So if there's no off-the-shelf solution available I think I rather drop it and use the built-in brackets in my PC case.
(The idea was that by mounting the HDD on a PCI-e expansion card the noise from the HDD would be lower than by using the mounting brackets in the PC chassis itself. But I might be wrong on that as well...).

I have built a new desktop machine running Ubuntu 15.10 (Cinnamon/GNOME desktop) with the following spec:
(Tried to use Linux Mint 17.3, but it had no support for Skylake Graphics out-of-the box).

• Fractal Design Core 2500 Midi Tower chassis (it's a nice one..)
  • MSI H170A PC MATE motherboard
  • Intel Core i5-6400 Skylake (Quad core, 2.7 GHz)
  • 32 GB RAM (will be expanded to 64GB as soon as I can afford it.. :-) )
  • 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD
  • 2 x 3TB HDD (Toshiba and Seagate Barracuda)
  • 550W PSU (Cooler Master G550M)

Obviously when I removed the HDDs the system was practially noiseless, but when adding the HDDs it was not noiseless anymore... :-(
The noise is by no means very disturbing, but compared to a system with only SSD-disk(s) it's noticeably.
At this point I was wondering if it was possible to put the HDDs on an PCI-express card (with SATA-connections).

(Sorry if my English/American language is not perfect. It's not my mother tongue...)

This just in. I spotted a 480GB SSD for 99.99 USD so that would be noise free and a lot faster.

Found the PCIe HDD mount at http://www.frozencpu.com/products/25980/hdd-aka-10/Akasa_PCIe_PCI_Slot_Mounting_Bracket_2x_25_HDDSSD_AK-HDA-10BK.html?tl=g34c273&id=FZH3LKLv but not 3.5 inches. It appears that 3.5 inch drives exceed the mechanical dimensions for PCIe cards by too much.

SSDs are practically noise free, but they are not cheap - especially if you want much storage ( > 2 TB).
I need the 6TB diskspace, but can't afford to buy 3 x 2TB SSDs (as an example).. :-)
Thanks for your interest, anyway... :-)

I have to broach another issue. I'm running into folk that say want or need 6TB diskspace then they don't have backups of that content.

After all these years, why is this lesson still being learned or even asked?

Look at this graphic https://www.backblaze.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/blog-3TB-drives-2015.png and think how many folk got that bargain Seagate 3TB drive.

I have been in the business for so long that I KNOW that content you don't have backup of will be lost - sooner or later.
Today I use one of my 3TB drives mainly for storing TV shows recorded from my satelite desktop box (and the disk is nearly full).
I can afford to lose that one.. :-)
The second one is used for storing downloads, documents, my e-mail archive for Thunderbird and other important stuff.
I'm going to backup it to different external HDDs and cloud storage. This is the important part for me..

So yes: I'm aware of the risks...
(and I should be as an CISSP..)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.19 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.