after kaspersky internet security installation, the PC starts untill the display of the windows (XP) logo. And then, the screen gets dark. The mouse works, but no action can be done. why

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Seriously? After Ukraine and numerous cyber attacks you'd trust anything Russian? Shame on you. Time to resort to your backup. If you don't have a backup then double shame on you. You should have a backup image of your system partition for just this event (I recommend Macrium Reflect). At the very least, a Macrium Reflect bootable recovery USB stick would allow you to access/recover all of your data files.

commented: Also want to note that what comes with Windows seems to be good enough for an antivirus. +16

Windows XP SP3 here only took 20 minutes to reinstall. The target was one of our last Windows XP SP3 machines that we kept around for client support of a legacy app that was not going to be updated for any newer version of Windows. We don't bother with an antivirus because it's used for just one thing which is to edit the client's app, compile and ship out the new version.

The Internet is dead as it can be on this old XP laptop because everything is secure beyond what XP SP3 can offer.

Can you share your reason to run XP SP3 today?

Rather than keeping around an old machine, why not just run XP SP3 in a virtual machine? That way you are not reliant on a single point of failure (a decrepit machine).

For Reverend Jim,
Great question. It's for a factory production line and uses those USB to RS232 USB adapters which can be a pain to get working in a VM. Also, I didn't tell all. This was the last time we agreed to do an update so it will be the last update. Then again if management gets their price for an update (it's been doubling each year!) then we may have to do it again. The price is so high that buying some old dual core laptop on ebay is not a concern.

For the OP, I can't guess why anyone else would run Windows XP today outside of curiosity.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.