hey,

im in year 11 at school and im just about to go into 6th form and study computer science ( hopefully if theres enough interest ¬.¬). any way, im not sure what computer is all about. If any of you could send me any links to usfull websites i would be extremly gratefull. and Also i am extremely interested in game designing, if any of my fellow computer geeks (not in a bad way =]) out there have any advise on how to get into this industry i would be very thankfull.

Andy Sharp.....:cool:

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Computer science is too large to define.

thanks for the comment, well what is envolved in computer science. i'v had so many people at my school saying differant things some say its building computers, and others say that it is purely programming. Can you enlighten me?...

thanks for the comment, well what is envolved in computer science. i'v had so many people at my school saying differant things some say its building computers, and others say that it is purely programming. Can you enlighten me?...

Programming is sub-field of computer science. In short, computer science is the study of the technology (mostly about machine).

thats good then, would you say that computer science is a good subject to study. whats your favourite part of computer science...?

Computer Science leads to opportunities doing a wide variety of things ... systems development, application programming, web development, software engineering, artificial intelligence, robotics, bioinformatics, and the list just goes on and on. Basically, any piece of electronic equipment needs to be designed by a computer engineer ... from car dashboards to clock radios. When I was in school doing my computer science degree, I actually had to design a working car alarm system for a digital circuitry course.

What you can expect to be studying in school is a lot of calculus, discrete mathematics (logic), operating system design, a study of algorithms (time and space complexity), and a lot of theoretical stuff.

I'm not sure what is meant when you heard that computer science is building computers. It doesn't take a degree to assemble a computer. You buy the parts at the store and you screw them onto a motherboard in a case. It would take a computer engineering / computer science degree if you actually want to do digital circuitry design and actually design the schema for a motherboard or video card.

thats good then, would you say that computer science is a good subject to study. whats your favourite part of computer science...?

My favorite part of computer science is programming.

thats what i said to him. i'v built a couple of computers myself its very easy, he thinks its morecomplicated than plug & play but its not really. computer science sounds like and extremly cool subject. what core subjucts would i need to be good at to find this subject not to challenging i.e maths, science etc.

ah cool, programming really appeals to me. the fact that you can design your own things and wach them in use to me is an exciting prospect. i want to be a games designer so i should really need to enjoy the programming aspect

ah cool, programming really appeals to me. the fact that you can design your own things and wach them in use to me is an exciting prospect. i want to be a games designer so i should really need to enjoy the programming aspect

Learning programming not only able to develop own software, but also gain the great understanding of how the computer works beneath what we can really see. More importantly, it develops your critical thinking skill, logically thinking, and problem-solving. For me, programming is one of the most interesting sub-field of computer science.

Developing a simple game(such as 2d space-shooting pr pac-man), is not a difficult thing to do; however, you need to mastered the programming first.

what core subjucts would i need to be good at to find this subject not to challenging i.e maths, science etc.

Certainly maths knowledge is an advantage (particularly algebra) and physics can be helpful (although I never studied physics after year 10 at school). There are actually a few philosophy subjects at university/college that can be advantageous too (Logical Thinking especially).

Experimental skill and Curiosity skill are also very helpful in learning computer science.

If you are planning to opt for CS, try searching for "Logical aptitude tests" on google. They'll help you a long way.

Yes Computer Science is mostly programming?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.