Hai
Can any one give some real time applications of multitasking..
thanks in advance..

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I don't fully understand. Are you looking for examples on multithreaded applications?

hai,

Yes....Multitasking and multithreading are some what similar....
can you help me with real time examples of multithreading..
-----thanks in advance

Yes....Multitasking and multithreading are some what similar....
can you help me with real time examples of multithreading..
-----thanks in advance

Somewhat perhaps. But, since this is in Computer Science, you'll have to be a little more specific. Do you want to know how a processor can process multiple tasks simultaneously? Because most processors actually do not, they are using something called pseudo parallellism.

Somewhat perhaps. But, since this is in Computer Science, you'll have to be a little more specific. Do you want to know how a processor can process multiple tasks simultaneously? Because most processors actually do not, they are using something called pseudo parallellism.

hai,
Thank you......As you know grid network is actually work stealing process.that is ,tasks are shared by multiple processors..i am doing a project on roll back recovery in grid computing..i need to analyse if roll back is possible in multi threaded applications..hence i need some examples.do you have some idea on roll back recovery....

Multitasking is a method by which multiple tasks, also known as processes, share common processing resources such as a CPU. In the case of a computer with a single CPU, only one task is said to be running at any point in time, meaning that the CPU is actively executing instructions for that task.

commented: Another crappy sig-link spammer, copy/pasting wiki or some other dictionary definition -4
commented: scrub -1

The definition above is a better definition for multiprogramming, not multitasking. Multitasking is defined by my OS book as requiring multiple uses - i.e. multiple users get a seamless experience because it appears that all of the CPU resources are dedicated to their use, when in fact this is not the case.

Computer multitasking is the apparent simultaneous performance of two or more tasks by a computer's central processing unit.
<<snip>>

Computer multitasking is the apparent simultaneous performance of two or more tasks by a computer's central processing unit.
<<snip>>

I agree with you there although this post will probably attract negative votes. Multitasking is basically when an operating system eg. windoze has multiple tasks running and the tasks windoze has running are objects which are programs. So for example with windoze you can run 20 programs/objects/tasks all at the same time sharing the same cpu. This term is more commonly known as multi-threading. An example of a computer which does not use multi-threading or multitasking is the Apple ipad (Equivalent to the Microsoft Tablet). So in the Apple ipad which does not use multi-threading, you can listen to music but do nothing but listen to music or write a book but do nothing but write the book. This is single tasking where every program or object requires all of the systems recourses even if it only really needs 0.001% of the recourses/cpu.

commented: windoze -1

Um, iPad applications can do multi-threading. You don't know the difference between threads and processes, do you.

Um, iPad applications can do multi-threading. You don't know the difference between threads and processes, do you.

Aren't the processes the sub objects of the operating system and multi-threading when 2 or more processes can be processed at the same time? That is what I thought.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.