I recently unrolled an insertion sort and on 60 items it was twice as slow as the looped version. I'm guessing that's because it was too big for the instruction cache, being 1032 KB. First, does that seem a likely explanation? If so, to avoid that problem, do I just need to find the instruction cache size of my Intel Core Duos and not go over it, or is there a bit more to it?
I've read a bit about data caches but everything I've googled up about instruction cache is either a paper (expensive), a patent or I can't understand it.
I'm mostly hoping to learn, also hoping to write a fast sort for short lists to finish off a quicksort.
Thanks for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The cache works better when you HAVE loops, not when you don't.

If all you've got is straight-line code, then the very fast processor is essentially bypassing the cache and it is stuck waiting for slow memory to deliver the next instruction.

A populated cache on the other hand can keep up. Coupled with branch prediction (or speculative execution), a jump from one cache location to another is either a small overhead (or free).

> I'm guessing that's because it was too big for the instruction cache
For 60 elements - I doubt it.
Most tool chains have the ability to tell you how much code a single function occupies at the assembler level (try the map file).

I recently unrolled an insertion sort and on 60 items it was twice as slow as the looped version. I'm guessing that's because it was too big for the instruction cache, being 1032 KB.

The correct question would be "it was too big for the instruction cache line". I don't know how large is the cache line on your system, but usually it is no more than 512 bytes. It is quite reasonable to expect that an unrolled code doesn't fit a cache line, and suffers all the consequences of extra cache misses, as Salem already explained.

Thanks Salem and nezachem, that's the info I wanted.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.