Where I work we're trying to create a CD that contains PowerPoints, PDF files and video files. The contents of the CD need to be protected somehow so that the user can open the files but can't edit them, and the disc should also be able to work on both Macs and PCs. I've been brainstorming on this for about a week now, and I would really appreciate some ideas or comments about this.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Power point presentations can be exported in other formats too... you can check if there is an app online that can convert ppt to swf or something. that will solve the powerpoint problem.

PDF's can be locked if you have Acrobat Professional. Not just the free reader. After locking a pdf, edits are not allowed.

The videos, see if you want to convert them to swf's even but then again, all videos can be edited but it wont happen on your CD!

I hope this has helped... only the ppt seems to be the major issue here. Get the acrobat pro and lock your PDF!

Cheers!

Oh... another option is to zip or rar your files as read-only. Then burn the CD.

Thanks for the quick reply, I hadn't known about Acrobat being able to lock PDF files. I just downloaded the trial to test it out so it should work fine. I was also wondering if anybody knows how to copy protect CDs. I've been researching it for a while and there doesn't seem to be anything newer than 2001; and I've already tried WTM Copy Protect and it doesn't seem to be quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for your help. I knew the CD protection was a long shot; I was just kind of hoping against hope that there was something newer out there that I had missed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.