i have seen that some amount of the memory like my 8GB pendrive on linux PC which has one unit = 1000 which is exactly same used by the pendrive sellers.....is somewhat less than 8GB.
it is 7.9 GB, why ?
also on windows, my 500 GB HDD should be read as 465.66 GB bcz windows take 1 unit=1024 ,,
bt the size is 465.76 GB.. why ?

is this an error in manufacturing or there is some hidden mystery behind this ?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

If you already have an Operating System or any program in the computer you bought then that will take up some space already or some of the memory may be reserved

the memory it takes up is not always 101% accurate... in my opinion anyway

i have seen that some amount of the memory like my 8GB pendrive on linux PC which has one unit = 1000 which is exactly same used by the pendrive sellers.....is somewhat less than 8GB.
it is 7.9 GB, why ?

The file system takes up a certain amount of space. It needs to track which areas of the storage device are being used for which files, what the file names are, file attributes, &c. That's probably where the difference is in this case.

also on windows, my 500 GB HDD should be read as 465.66 GB bcz windows take 1 unit=1024 ,,
bt the size is 465.76 GB.. why ?

A gigabyte is traditionally 2^30 = 1,073,741,824 bytes. Storage device manufacturers call it an even billion, so 465.66 GB is correct.

Note that this is roughly 93% of the advertised size. Back in the day when disk drives were sold by the megabyte, it was only 1,000,000 / 1,048,576, or about 95%. The bigger the unit, the worse the marketing lie becomes.

On a usb pen drive, there is a bit of code to make it run as a drive, often pretending to be a CD drive on older ones. That reduces your total available memory a little bit.

No, that doesn't eat into the amount.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.