Member Avatar for lithium112

If this should have been asked under a different topic on the forum, I apologize.

I have personal projects that I have done, but no "real world" experience in the workplace with programming. On my resume, I have listed experience with certain languages but have actually been told that I should label it as "academic experience only" on my resume. I would think that a hiring manager would be smart enough to realize that since I did not list any professional work experience as a programmer on my resume, then all of the languages I have put on my resume would be academic only anyway. Any thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I wouldn't bother qualifying the languages you know as being academic experience. Experience is experience, even if you weren't paid for it. However, I'd refrain from including languages that you don't feel you can comfortably hit the ground running with yet. You're not expected to be a guru, but you would be expected not to ask basic syntax or common library questions.

Member Avatar for lithium112

Thanks! That helps alot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.