Hi Dw.

Is it possible to permanently burn a file to a re-writable CD/DVD but the files bytes be able to be updates/modified while the file/Media(CD/DVD) is not formattable or the files even formatting a media be un-removed from the media?

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'm sorry, I'm having hard time understanding your question. Could you provide an example instead?

Sorry to take so long. The very good example for this is HDD(Hard Drive Disk) they are re-writable disks and we can format them, but remember this, the root drive or HDD containing OS has Drive0 which has a reserved 100MB for the OS to use, this is taken from the main HDD and is kept private so that nothing except OS can access that portion so what I'm asking is a bit similar but different. Coming back to my question.

Suppose I write a file to a RW DVD/CD and the file is "test.txt", is it theoretically possible to keep this file permanent on a RW white it is enabled for modification? Like I want to add some like to it or remove some line to it but not removing its self from a media?

Or is there any way possible to lock the RW from being formatted. I have here 2 RWs one is CD and the other is DVD. I now uses DVD because CD was some how locked by a virus and now its can't be formatted, someone told me to use a Linux OS to format it, but I don't have it or know anyone near me who has it, so this also gave me an idea on a project I'm developing to use the similar approach but want to allow modification/updating of file but not removing it on a media.

How did a virus lock my RW CD, and how can I perform the same?

Meant While not White, also meant Line not like.

the root drive or HDD containing OS has Drive0 which has a reserved 100MB for the OS to use, this is taken from the main HDD and is kept private so that nothing except OS can access that portion

You can access the partition, it's called "System Reserved". If you grant it a letter in Windows, it appears in "My Computer". I don't think Linux has any hidden partitions.

Suppose I write a file to a RW DVD/CD and the file is "test.txt", is it theoretically possible to keep this file permanent on a RW white it is enabled for modification? Like I want to add some like to it or remove some line to it but not removing its self from a media?

Couldn't you try writing and burning test.txt with regular "read-only" mode without finalizing disk (there is option for that in couple programs), and then add files you'd like to modify later? Brutally, you can burn test.txt using very old operating system, pre-2010 and force it to write the file, then move to your original system and attempt to create regular modifiable files on the drive.

Look, I'm just trying to make best out of it. In these cases I mostly recommend buying 40GB HDD or 8GB flash USB and encrypting them. CDs/DVDs were just meant to hold data, something like floppy disks back in the day. It is even a wonder they somehow managed to make CD/DVD rewritable.

I hinted out something you can try, but I doubt that you can have two differently working parts on the same CD/DVD.

Anyways, good luck.

Thanks. But I'm not clear where you said "burn the file without FINALIZING mode".

Well the projects forces me to use CD/DVDs but I couldn't use +R, -R CD/DVDs because once burned they can be read only without re-modifying the contents inside so RW are handy for that but the problem is permanently burn a file there and it stay there till a disc dies, similar to R disc but with an ability to modify the line(s) inside the file(s).

Or the solution maybe to create a standalone executable file that will automatically copy these file to a computer with an unrecognized format and update the files lines as necessary as required then when the disc user attempt to eject the disc, the software will then overwrite the files inside the disc with the one that has been modified and delete those that were copied to a computer.

But the problem with that is that most people like my self disable the AutoRun on our computers so this won't work in most computers and on Linux and other none Windows OS, also not to mention that the AV software will detect it as an unlawful/malicious software due to its behavior so this is not a good idea to use autorun also its may consume more time when the contents are let's say 1GB so just think of how long it will take from overwriting, to deleting and finally to eject the disc, a user will wait too long before a disc is ejected and almost 5x if the computer is slow.

Ow and also HDD was just an example I'm not working with it, also can't use USBs but I think if it can be done on USB then will for sure be done on RW CD/DVD. The reason for me being forced to use CD/DVDs is people are still using it and will still be used for at least some more years before USBs fully replace them or other new potable media.

To me I think the fact that USBs are too open then R disc which are not infected once burnt even if you use it on an infected disc the write access is locked no more writing to it even if a virus tries but it can't then USBs because they are too open in terms of writing access, so I think once there is some techniques applied to them to limit write access which will also limit virus infection then they will be recommended as reliable, safe portable media which can be used in many industries (Software releases, Music, Movies, Games, etc) just like how CD/DVDs took over from Cassettes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.