I'm looking into creating a Access database for marking my students and so they can get there marks online.

The online part is much later mind you but that is my goal.

I need help in the structure of my tables, quaries and reports. I've been using access for a little while but nothing to this scale and i know i'm certainly missing something important to get it to work the way i want.

Tables needed.

Students
-StudID
-FirstName
-LastName
-Course
-Enrollment

Tests
-TestID
-Module
-Units
-Section1
-Section2
-Section3
-Bonus
-Total_Q

Assignments
-AssignID
-Module
-Units
-Description
-Completion

These are the tables i have so far and i know there needs to be some normalization done here to accomplish what i want.

What i want!!!

I would like to be able to have a Form that will allow me to enter all the student info ie(student details, test marks, assignment marks) which i have completed and seems to work fine.

With Reports i would like to be able to show marks for each test in the module and marks for the assignments completed and then an average for the module and then an average for the student all together for the course.

Not having an issue for the module marks but i can not get a sub report to work properly to show me the assignments for that module for that student.

Wow even just typing this i'm lost. Please help !!!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You should also include StudentID in Tests and Assignments tables to associate results with the person as StudentID is unique.

Ok i will include the student is in those tables and see if this helps me when i'm trying to create the reports

Make student-id the sorting key of the students table.

Form one-to-many relationships from student to tests, and from student to assignments, using student-id as the key.

Make student-id the sorting key of the students table.

Form one-to-many relationships from student to tests, and from student to assignments, using student-id as the key.

Isn't that what I said few days ago ??? :D

Sort of.

I used the exact language required by Access.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.