how to delete duplicate records from table.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

DELETE FROM table1
USING table1, table1 AS vtable
WHERE (table1.ID > vtable.ID)
AND (table1.field_name=vtable.field_name)

You may need to have lots of ANDs at the end, if you want lots of fields to be the same. If you just want to delete records that have ONE field the same, then my example works already.

As an example, let's adapt the SQL above to remove records from a table called macintosh. The table has many columns, but we're going to call a record a duplicate if three (of the many) columns match. Here we go:

DELETE FROM macintosh
USING macintosh, macintosh AS m2
WHERE (macintosh.id > m2.id)
AND (macintosh.manufacturer=m2.manufacturer)
AND (macintosh.model=m2.model)
AND (macintosh.os=m2.os)

PLEASE only try this on a copy of your database table. Do not run this on production tables until you've certified that it works.

If you are using SQL 2005, here's another option. (originally posted in http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post639423-7.html)

Suppose you have a table with the following structure:

id - int PrimaryKey
name - varchar(50)
description - varchar(MAX)

and the following values:

1	Joe	  Short for Joseph
2	Dave	  Short for David
3	Joe	  Short for Joseph
4	Joe	  Short for Joseph
5	Chris	  Short for Christian
6	Rob	  Short for Robert

Notice that "Joe - Short for Joseph" has three duplicate records. It is true that we can use SELECT DISTINCT to filter these, and for a simple table like this, that's probably the best option. However, sometimes SELECT DISTINCT gets a little hairy when dealing with joins, at least in my experience. So, without having the time to create a complex data structure, or using one I already have that contains confidential data, let's use this simple example.

MSSQL 2005 added a handy new function called ROW_NUMBER(). Learn it, love it (lol). Seriously though, it will make your life easier. What this function does is allow you to get the row number of a record in a returned data table. On the surface, this doesn't sound like much. But, it becomes extremely useful when you realize that you can partition, or group, the records. Let use this on the table shown above:

WITH names AS 
(
SELECT
		id,
		name,
		description,
		ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY name, description ORDER BY id) AS rowNum
FROM
		table_1
)

SELECT
		id,
		name,
		description,
                rowNum
FROM
		names

We get these results:

id     name  description               rowNum

5	Chris	 Short for Christian    1
2	Dave	Short for David	        1
1	Joe	  Short for Joseph	 1
3	Joe	  Short for Joseph	 2
4	Joe	  Short for Joseph	 3
6	Rob	 Short for Robert	1

Notice that now we have rowNumbers for each record, and they are partitioned by the name and description fields. So, if we want to get the duplicate records for this table, we add a WHERE clause to the query:

SELECT
		id,
		name,
		description
FROM
		names
WHERE
		rowNum > 1

which gives us:

3	Joe	Short for Joseph	2
4	Joe	Short for Joseph	3

Cool isn't it?

What this allows us to do, is dump this into a temporary table to use as in a subquery...

DECLARE @tblNames TABLE(id int);

WITH names AS 
(
SELECT
		id,
		name,
		description,
		ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY name, description ORDER BY id) AS rowNum
FROM
		table_1
)
INSERT
		@tblNames
SELECT
		id
FROM
		names
WHERE
		rowNum > 1

DELETE
FROM
	table_1
WHERE
	id IN
	(
		SELECT
				id
		FROM
				@tblNames
	)

Now if we select the records from table_1, the duplicates have been eliminated. Here's the results:

1	Joe	  Short for Joseph
2	Dave	Short for David
5	Chris	 Short for Christian
6	Rob	 Short for Robert

There's a way to do this without the temp table, but I can't find my original query, so I had to do it from memory.

Sorry to turn this into a novel, but I thought an explanation would be better than a code dump.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.