Which AMD model is the best:

AMD Sempron
AMD Athlon XP
AMD Athlon 64
AMD Operton

And an AMD 2.0GHz processor would equal out to what speed of Intel, since AMD is more advanced?

Recommended Answers

All 34 Replies

AMD Sempron is the budget processor. It gives better performance than a Celeron.

Athlon XP is the soon to be discontinued competitor for Pentium 4. It performs slightly under the corresponding Pentium 4 level

Athlon64 (until 64-bit computing comes in anyway) is the new competitor for the higher rated models of the Pentium 4. It performs slightly better than the equivalent Pentium 4 model.

AthlonFX is a higher performance processor of a similar type as an Athlon64. It outperforms the Pentium 4 EE

AMD Opteron is a server processor, not a desktop processor. Its direct 'competitor is the Xeon, but it absolutely wipes the floor with the Xeon, I'm afraid ;)

Thinking of processors in terms of 'gigahertz' is a false way to judge competitiveness and performance. Even Intel has dropped the measure for its newer processors and now uses 'Model numbers'. Just look at the 'performance rating' model number for the AMD chip and assess it according to the general guidelines above.

Also, could you please continue your upgrade discussion in your existing upgrade topic, instead of creating even more topics about it?

Further discussion in this topic only about the comparitive standings of different processors please.

The 1 and 2 way opterons are also intended for workstation and high-end workstation applications (graphics design etc) and yeah, they even make Intels Pure 64bit Itanium2's look rather girly really.
And I backup the GHz rating to be a false means to qualitify chip performance. If that were the case Intel just wouldnt make money (as much as i would like that....)
As for Value, Athlon64's are probably the best bit really. XPs are on the way out, Semperon is budget market and FX is just plain expensive.
I'm just not going to say anything about Intel incase they sue me :-\

Alright, thanks. 'Em, what would you recommend for an entry-level gamers pc processor. Like, which AMD chip?

Your point is, rcrevolution?

Young Teck 06, cutting corners too far in relation to a processor isn't really a good idea for a Games system. A games system is a high performance system, or should be. You shouldn't plan on the need to upgrade a processor later on, because realistically technology changes too fast, a processor upgrade doesn't really give much benefit to Games performance, and by the time the next upgrade is needed almost everybody will need to upgrade their motherboard as well. So plan your system around a decent motherboard and processor from the start!

At present, for those people who need to be conscious of cost, there are two choices available which would make the basis of a good games system

AMD Athlon64 3000+ (or 3200+ is better if the budget allows) for socket 754 motherboards.

The Socket 754 standard is being phased out for future processors, but for now it's the affordable best performance platform. The processor should be coupled with a motherboard which uses the NVidia NForce3 250 chipset. This is the highest performing 'budget-level' option currently available for a games system.

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 'Northwood' for Socket 478 motherboards.

Not quite as good as the Athlon64 but still a very good performance processor/motherboard combination when coupled with an Intel i865PE or i875P chipset. Do NOT purchase an Intel brand motherboard, as it will have the performance features disabled. Third party motherboards using the chipset are a must, and ABit currently offers the best performing alternatives.

Build your system around either of those options, and install a high quality display card in it, and you'll have a gaming system which would perform well for you for a long time to come ;)

Hmmmm, thanks for the notes. I'll think about it, what would the total cost be for them 2, and I am planning to get an ATI Radeon 9800Pro if thats any good.

Dude, I'm in Australia, so any pricing I give you probably wouldn't be relevent. Shop around and check lots of online stores to judge what prices are available for you location. Online shopping is usually much cheaper than purchasing from your local computer shop.

A Radeon 9800 Pro is a good performance/price display card. I would personally consider it to be a base level of performance to aim at for a games system. Upgrading it later on to an NVidia 6800GT or an ATi X800XT would give you a games system which will be good enough to use for a long time to come yet.

Alrighty, that NVidia 6800GT is like $600+ right?

Dude, I'm in Australia, so any pricing I give you probably wouldn't be relevent. Shop around and check lots of online stores to judge what prices are available for you location.

Didn't you read that bit?

American wise, cant you realize. Nevermind, you must not get it, lol.

Considering that 128Mb 6800GTs can be purchased for $AUD600 and 256Mb 6800GTs for under $AUD700, if that $600 is US currency I think you're looking in the wrong place for a bargain. It seems excessively high to me ;)

I get it all right, young'un. The price just seemed wrong to me, is all, and I was wondering where the hell you lived! ;)

Considering that 128Mb 6800GTs can be purchased for $AUD600 and 256Mb 6800GTs for under $AUD700, if that $600 is US currency I think you're looking in the wrong place for a bargain. It seems excessively high to me ;)

I get it all right, young'un. The price just seemed wrong to me, is all, and I was wondering where the hell you lived! ;)

Its direct 'competitor is the Xeon, but it absolutely wipes the floor with the Xeon

Not exactly. In a single cpu setup one out-performs the other. In the dual cpu setup, the opposite proved better. I can't remember exactly which one the opteron won. I think the review I read this about was from toms hardware.

Yup, thats the darned $600 price, god it makes me wanna cry. :lol:

Like I said, you're looking in the wrong place for bargains!

$US600 is grossly overpriced!

Phaelax, I think you might be referring to this article, or perhaps this one.

It's not really the configuration of these workstation processors in the system which creates comparitive performance fluctuations, it's the purpose for which they are used. When you match up competitively rated Xeons and Opterons, the Xeon will come out slightly ahead in some aspects of #D video rendering, but not in much else. The Opterons are streets ahead as a server processor, and slightly ahead in some other forms of content creation as well. But that's all a bit off-topic in a discussion of processors for a Gaming system, as neither are really a suitably realistic option for that purpose.

oh shoot me :surprised:

Member Avatar for szukalski

bang bang you're dead.
hole in your head.

Yeah wait a few months to buy a 6800GT or X800 right now the cheapest I have found the 6800GT is $359 and I have seen them as much as $599, the ega 6800Gt with 256Mb and tv in/out and stuff.

I have a 9600XT and with a amd 64 3400+ and 1Gb of pc3200, I believe will make a good gaming system.

and I was just joking with the mop thingie , jeeze can't you take a joke?

lol, okay, I got my system picked out already. I'll post the reply in the Hardware section soon and we can make changes and whatever. The total for right now to build this gaming system is only $925.95. So hopefully with what I picked out will be good. Anybody have any clue if it would be good to get a RAID card at all, for better speed?

No. Waste of money for a games system ;)

'Em, let me show you what I have first, dont boo me, but its an Intel Processor, until later when I get me an AMD, da** its gonna suck changing to an AMD processor and using a AMD usable motherboard.

Chances are a new motherboard will come with RAID onboard anyway.

'Em, let me show you what I have first, dont boo me, but its an Intel Processor, until later when I get me an AMD, da** its gonna suck changing to an AMD processor and using a AMD usable motherboard.

I'm not understanding your logic here......why are you getting an Intel CPU now and an AMD model later? Do you already have a P4 motherboard?

Young Teck, could you post detailed specifications of your current system, so we have a means of comparison?

Edit: Preferably in your original 'upgrade' topic ;)

Yes, I already have the P4 motherboard for it on order, or hold, idk, which ever you call it.

If you're purchasing an Intel system now, by the time you need the next upgrade AMD may no longer have the 'lead' ;)

Why do you say that? 'Em, what would you say about adding a RAID card set to 0 and 3 there Catweazle, also, how you like my new, LARGER name. I just donated and subscribed to the forums, I may stay like this, makes my name stand out.

amd and intel are always swaping leads amd might be in the lead today not tomorrow but the day after that they can be in the lead again.

Why do you say that? 'Em, what would you say about adding a RAID card set to 0 and 3 there Catweazle, also, how you like my new, LARGER name. I just donated and subscribed to the forums, I may stay like this, makes my name stand out.

What motherboard did you order? Most Intel chipset boards already come equipped with SATA RAID supporting modes 0 and 1. Despite that, RAID is not really worth it for the average home user unless you happen to dabble in video editing (RAID 0) or you're paranoid about backing up your data (RAID 1).

Well, the time frame is somewhat more drawn out than that, but yess, I'd have to agree. Tchnology changes rather rapidly. For the current generation of processor technology, some processors are better than others at particular tasks. In the next generation of processor technology, a different competitor might gain the advantage.

RAID 0 doesn't give a performance improvement for games. Games load into memory, and run from there. The only improvement to be gained is a slightly quicker level loading time.

So is a RAID card at all any good for this PC. Don't forget I am using it for both gaming AND media. What would the RAID card do and what are the modes?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.