OK, hes a list of the things I've used:

Premade Engines (I dont know what the program thing is called)
Torque Game Engine
3d Game Studio

3D Editing Programs
GMax
3DSMax
a little Milkshape

Porgramming
starting C++

2d Graphics
Correl
Photoshop

Game Making Programs
RPG Maker2k

Game Editing Programs
TES Construction Set (TES: Morrowind and Oblivion editor)
Renegade programs (gmax and such)
used to make maps and such in Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun

OK now here is my question: I'm interested in creating a game, but everyhwere I go, everyone says to either use a premade engine or modify another. But for me, that is way to expensive. I have the game ideas so thats no problem, I just have no way of outputting them. I was thinking of making simpler games first and working my way up to the harder ones.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Will it be too hard for one person to make a game engine (and what work will it require)? And which program should i learn extensively first?

Thank You

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

If you want to make a game engine, learn a decent language. C++ is decent, but learn it well. There are easier languages to start in, but some good C++ libs go a long way - look up SDL and OpenGL, or DirectX. From ( painful ) personal experience - it is time consuming, and you have to make sure that you stay focused on 'the game' rather than 'the engine', cos it's all to easy to end up working on the minor features for months and then ending up way behind schedule on anything that even resembles 'a game'. But, I guess it's rewarding. I've been working on diff self-made engines for at least a year; often I just tear everything down and start from scratch, so, I have very little to show for it ^_-

Modding an engine isnt that expensive.. if you find a cheap/free engine to mod that is. Look at Ogre or Irrlicht - they are free, but maybe not as full featured/easy to use as massive commercial engines.

I would like to learn can someone teach me how to make games

Roverfind, do not hijack other threads, make your own. But to answer your question, no. We're here to help to those who show effort.

I will say that do not use c++ , its a good language but not as good as asp or java ... use them the game will looks great....3 d

I will say that do not use c++ , its a good language but not as good as asp or java ... use them the game will looks great....3 d

Do not listen to that advice. Java in my experience (BOTH programming and using programs developed in java) really bites. Speed is a huge issue with Java, I know people say its just as fast as anything else.... that is very far from true, if you want proof, compare speeds of programs developed in Java with similar programs developed in C++. Don't know much about asp, but I wouldn't recommend it. And I am also no a C# fan, it has many of the same flaws as Java.
I hear people complain about C++ pointers and memory allocations, but its really not that hard, people are just lazy.

My recommendation: C++ all the way

Plus, C++ is the most respectable to most people

My recommendation: C++ all the way

Plus, C++ is the most respectable to most people

Thank you, thats all I wanted to hear!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.