kirennian 0 Light Poster

Well I'm looking to add a number of effects to my project; the project itself is built as a 3d component based engine, to be used for a multitude of tasks. As such, I've given the user (programmers) the power to do pretty much anything with the classes they please, to create any type of program.

My problem comes with trying to create a high level shader library for them to use. I have a relatively basic understanding of exactly what can be achieved with the language but I'm looking to adopt some best practices, as well as allow for maximum flexibility in how the language is used.

Currently, the user creates a bank of objects in my graphics class, all of which render in turn. To have multiple HLSL libraries assigned to each object would require a massive number of links to individual effect objects, of which, I'm unsure how this would effect the processing speed of the render cycle. How would this effect the speed of the program in comparison to say, one large HLSL library which can adopt a number of techniques? This however, doesn't seem very OO...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.