For example, I want to write a minesweeping. I know the interior algorithm, but I don't know how to start creating a gui. How should I get started? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I would try using SDL. I use it and, it has many functions including detecting mouse and keyboard activity. For simple but excellent tutorials on how to get it, use it and, make games with it check http://www.lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/.

Hmm, you could design a minesweeper game using .NET or Visual Basic easily. Instant access to some of windows graphics.

First you should get an IDE to work in.
Here are some IDEs for programming languages.

If you're after a more advanced game build, try starting up your own DirectX application, a good place to look is the sticky at Game Development FAQ's, Books and Resources from DaniWeb.

Good luck!

If you use C/C++ language,you can use VC++ to make a GUI.And if you want to use a free IDE,you can use DEV C++(But you should make a lot of codes).
And if you can use Object Pascal,maybe Lazarus can help you.

Try DarkBasic or the DarkGDK at The Game Creators. It's how i started out on game development =)

try using java and the eclipse ide

If you want to create awesome games using a very easy to use interface within a very short period of time then download Game Maker 8 from yoyogames.com. No special knowledge of programming is required but there is a built-in compiler and scripting language which allows you to make advanced games if you are done with the drag and drop stuff.

If you want to create awesome games using a very easy to use interface within a very short period of time then download Game Maker 8 from yoyogames.com. No special knowledge of programming is required but there is a built-in compiler and scripting language which allows you to make advanced games if you are done with the drag and drop stuff.

Game Maker 8 requires no programming knowledge its DND (drag and drop) and you dont need to know any code

Using openGL with glut or win32 code to generate a window would help with the problem. I would recommend looking at http://nehe.gamedev.net/ it has some very useful tutorials especially if you have never coded any graphics.

Game Maker 8 requires no programming knowledge its DND (drag and drop) and you dont need to know any code

On the contrary it doesn't, but to make really advanced games you'll have to be forced to use some kind of programming algorithms or methods for position checking, boolean true or false and handling tons of data.

I tried to make an RPG game on Game Maker, like Final Fantasy, and trust me it's still not as easy as it's made out to be. Requires programming too, by the way, and Game Make has the possibility to make simple games with drag-and-drop but if you get advanced it's impossible.

Besides, GM comes with its own programming language similar to Python.

On the contrary it doesn't, but to make really advanced games you'll have to be forced to use some kind of programming algorithms or methods for position checking, boolean true or false and handling tons of data.

I tried to make an RPG game on Game Maker, like Final Fantasy, and trust me it's still not as easy as it's made out to be. Requires programming too, by the way, and Game Make has the possibility to make simple games with drag-and-drop but if you get advanced it's impossible.

Besides, GM comes with its own programming language similar to Python.

Yeah, I used Game Maker for 4 years now. Its programming language has similar syntax as C++. It's really good if you're beginning to learn how to program because it teaches game logic and it teaches it well, since that's all you're basically doing. It's the same effect as finding a game engine and using it, Game Maker is the engine. It's good for 2D games but as you move into 3D, you'll find it slow as Game Maker is an interpreted program. It also has the ability to use .dll files which increases functionality and makes the things you can do in it limitless. God, someone even made an Ogre 3D port for Game Maker. Plus, you can now make games and have them published for the Andriod and the iPhone and even the PSP.

Try DarkBasic or the DarkGDK at The Game Creators. It's how i started out on game development =)

agreed!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.