I am going to the nearest Barnes and Noble store this weekend, with the greatful help of you, I need some C++ recommendation books for beginners. I know I already asked, but just thought I'd ask again, I have $50 so no expensive books. Overall, anybody with help gets a big thank you and maybe even a hug (girls) or a high five (guys) :P

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It was published in 2000. Shouldn't I get a more updated C++ version book or is this good for the current C++ language too?

I had been through the "buy some c++ books" situation like u are going now. Then I looked at these four titles :

1. Accelarated C++(Andrew Koenig)
2. Thinking in C++ (Bruce Eckel)
3. C++ Primer Plus (Stephen Prata)
4. C++: How to Program(Deitel & Deitel)

Ii looked everywhere in my country(Bangladesh) for the Accelarated C++ but could not find it (I was looking for the Eastern Economy Edition).

U can download Thinking in C++ free from the internet.

Fortunately I found the third one "C++ Primer Plus"(the eastern economy edition cost me USD 7.00) and bought it. I m still going with this one(i.e i am still reading it).

I heard that C++: How to program is a great book written by guys from MIT. But then again u cant read every book u know the name of.

Some other books worthy of a mention are
1. C++ Primer
2. Teach Yourself C++ (Herbert Schildt)

Books like Thinking in C++, C++ Primer Plus, C++ Primer, C++: How to Program are quite big and so the learning curve is gonna be a lenghty one if u follow any of these books. However, they will give u detailed explanations and discussions on each topic which might just be the thing u r looking for.

On the otherhand, books like Teach Yourself C++ and Accelarated C++ are designed to make ur learning curve a shorter one.

I personally prefer Accelarated C++, if I could find the book i would have stuck to it. It teaches u things faster and introduces STLs earlier and so will save a lot of ur time. Unfortunately i couldnt get this and now following C++ Primer Plus(and I havent yet reached STL). I also have a copy of Teach Yourself C++ and i think it too is a great book which is concise and precise. One thing I hate about big text books is that u never seem to finish it reading.

One important thing about buying books: Every book has it's own approach to teaching the language. It really depends on u which approach suits u most. U have to decide URSELF how u want to learn things and then u should pick a book or two. It is also not wise to stick to the same book and try to learn just about everything ONLY from that book. For example u might just want to learn about pointers, there's a very good chance that even after reading an entire chapter on pointers u might not feel totally confident. Then u have to look that up in another book or perhaps in the internet or some book especially for pointers. I would recommend u buy a book that teaches things faster like Accelarated C++ and another that gives detailed explanations(may be C++ Primer Plus) together. I would also recommend not to confine urself in just one book. If u think like I am goin to read this book now and then i will read that book, trust me it NEVER works out, it's better if u keep learning things from different books at the same time.

I had spent a fair amount of time looking for good "Introductory" texts on C++. The name of the books I mentioned here are best I could find. All of these books are wonderful but which one is the best for u depends entirely on u. I hope my search on "good C++ books" will save atleast some of ur precious time.

I may just get C++ Primer Plus, thanks for the help and I'll let you know if I honestly get it. Thanks again with whatever help anybody ever gave me on this topic.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.