hi everyone,

I am not a software kid that much but after getting fail from all books, im here for help. I am trying to read data from a device like monitor with a screen like calculator. It is connected with its main unit with 15 pin serial port like thing. I dont know which pin is for what purpose. It is mainly a device used in taxis in australia and called dispatcher made by company called raywood. they havent got any open source for their programming stuff. Just for my project im trying to read it, im tryin to discover it from its original source which afcoz not working. It has a keypad on it for inputing data like accepting jobs or messages, or plotting an area. I asked few drivers and they told me just a couple of wires they know tht they use to do tricks like disconnecting it from GPS or from meter, well illegal to do that, thnk god im not a taxi driver. but wht about other 13 wires/ pins running thru it... how can i read from it to know wht exaclty is in there?.. I know pretty much stupid question is this, well but i think it would be a real test to know ourself that wht we have learnt in our past computer studies.... afcoz my knowledge is not tht gud in it, so im asking for a help..

thnk you

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

It is connected with its main unit with 15 pin serial port like thing

Your being more specific will help us help you more.

Your being more specific will help us help you more.

hi.. thnks for ur reply, but I dont know how much more specific to be in it when im not a technical guy. Ok, this is something like monitor port or a parallel port like plugs with 15 pins. Just like we have parallel/ serial port plugs at the back of CPU.

It has a small calculator like screen and a numeric keypad n few alphabet buttons like E for enter or C for cancel. It is just like a pager, u recieve a message which is displayed on screen. U press a particular combination to plot in any area, u press the button to accept the incoming job, u can talk to d query channel using tht, there is mic also connected wid it. If u wnt i can take d picture n upload it.

cheers thnk u

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.