Hi All,

I have created a Vb.net application with back as MS.Access..I shall be very thankful if someone pls guide me on how to EXPORT DATA from the VB>NET Textboxes to NOTEPAD..

THe methof that i am using is creating a CSV file which is can Adjust in excel after copying data from notepad to excel...

BUT MY CUSTOMER WANTS SOMETHINGS LIKE BELOW PATTERN

NAME                POSITION                  COUNSELE BY           DATE
abc                    abc                            abc                           123
xyz                    xyz                            xyz                            123
aaa                   aaa                           aaa                            123

Pls help me to fix this issue.....

Below is my code

Private Sub btnnotepad_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnnotepad.Click

Dim filename As String = "C:\Documents and Settings\Acer\Desktop\CounsellingSystem\Counsellrecords.txt"

Dim lineoftext As String
        Dim arytext(5) As String

arytext(0) = txtname.Text
        arytext(1) = txtnpos.Text
        arytext(2) = txtcname.Text
        arytext(3) = txtcpos.Text
        arytext(4) = DateTimePickerdoc.Value.ToShortDateString
        arytext(5) = DateTimePickerrd.Value.ToShortDateString

lineoftext = String.Join(";", arytext)

Dim objwriter As New System.IO.StreamWriter(filename, True)
        objwriter.WriteLine(lineoftext)

objwriter.Close()

MsgBox("Record Saved To Notepad")

End Sub

Million thanks

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

what's the error code when you run this?

Why export it to notepad, and then copy/paste into excel, when you could have the VB program automatically add it to excel?
--------------------------------------------------
replace lineoftext = join with this:

lineoftext = txtname.text & "," & txtpos.text & "," & txtcname.text & "," & DateTimePickerdoc.Value.ToShortDateString

Hi Thanks For so quick responses

My coding saves the data in this format...

NAME; POSITION ;COUNSELOR; DATE
abc;sdf;rtt;123
xyz;edc;tgb;123
qsr;fgv;vgh;123

but,

My Customer needs data in below format

NAME POSITION COUNSELE BY DATE
abc abc abc 123
xyz xyz xyz 123
aaa aaa aaa 123

The customer doesnt want to see the data in excel.. they just want the txt file to diplay the data from vb.net in the above mentioned pattern..

I beleive i need to define lengths & Positions in notepad..but problem is i am blur on how to define lengths and positions of text......I would really appreciate if u guys could pls help me out of this issue

Thanks again for helping

The only way to really format data in notepad, is to use tabs. Say, name <tab><tab>Position<tab><tab>Counseled by date which is easy enough with:

lineoftext = txtname.text & vbtab & vbtab & txtpos.text & vbtab & vbtab & txtcname.text & vbtab & vbtab & DateTimePickerdoc.Value.ToShortDateString

The only way to really format data in notepad, is to use tabs. Say, name <tab><tab>Position<tab><tab>Counseled by date which is easy enough with:

lineoftext = txtname.text & vbtab & vbtab & txtpos.text & vbtab & vbtab & txtcname.text & vbtab & vbtab & DateTimePickerdoc.Value.ToShortDateString

Hi Comatose ,
Dude Thanks Millions for such a great help But the issue is still the same i can GIve spaces using VBTAB ...but the space is not saving documents in porper format....

Means
The colums n rows are not same for the record Meaning:
1-UNder name MAX then i want to leave spaces in the between then Counselor name is George
2 - William then i want to leave spaces in the between then Coounselor name is Matt....

Ples Refer to attachment

PLS Would Appreciate ur Help alot if u can help me on this matter.

This Site will help you out a great deal. The best way to do this is something like:

Dim oFile as System.IO.File
Dim oWrite as System.IO.StreamWriter
oWrite = oFile.CreateText(“C:\sample.txt”)
oWrite.WriteLine(“{0,10}{1,10}{2,25}”, “Date”, “Time”, “Price”)
oWrite.WriteLine(“{0,10:dd MMMM}{0,10:hh:mm tt}{1,25:C}”, Now(), 13455.33)
oWrite.Close()

Here, if you mess with the numbers that are inside the {}, you can adjust exactly where in the text file you want the data to go....If this solution doesn't work (but it should) we can try one more (ugly) way.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Yeah you could use the above method or another one:

pad the strings:

Dim str1 As String = "My String"
Console.WriteLine(str1.PadLeft(20, "-"))
Dim str2 As String = "My String"
Console.WriteLine(str2.PadRight(20, "-"))

I guess the key is to find out the length of the longest word in each column and make sure the padding is that length minimum. Pretty simple really.

The only real problem I see is if the customer wants to then open this notepad file as an excel file (right click, open as, excel). That obviously wouldn't work...

This Site will help you out a great deal. The best way to do this is something like:

Dim oFile as System.IO.File
Dim oWrite as System.IO.StreamWriter
oWrite = oFile.CreateText(“C:\sample.txt”)
oWrite.WriteLine(“{0,10}{1,10}{2,25}”, “Date”, “Time”, “Price”)
oWrite.WriteLine(“{0,10:dd MMMM}{0,10:hh:mm tt}{1,25:C}”, Now(), 13455.33)
oWrite.Close()

Here, if you mess with the numbers that are inside the {}, you can adjust exactly where in the text file you want the data to go....If this solution doesn't work (but it should) we can try one more (ugly) way.

Hi Guys Thanks for sharing Valuable information.
With ur Precious Help & time , my problem is HALF SOLVED

My Project will be completed if i can overcome this problem through valuable help from u guys.

Below is the coding:

Private Sub btnnotepad_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnnotepad.Click

Dim filename As String = "C:\Documents and Settings\Acer\Desktop\CounsellingSystem\Counsellrecords.txt"

Dim objwriter As New System.IO.StreamWriter(filename, True)

objwriter.WriteLine("{0,5}{1,30}{2,15}{3,15}{4,15}{5,15}", txtname.Text, txtnpos.Text, txtcname.Text, txtcpos.Text, DateTimePickerdoc.Value.ToShortDateString, DateTimePickerrd.Value.ToShortDateString)

objwriter.Close()

MsgBox("Record Saved To Notepad")

End sub

Please See attachment

Hi All,

My sincere thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and assisting me in completing my project.

With all the valuable help from u guys my PROJECT is COMPLETED ..

Thanks
Evil

Fantastic. :)

Now just mark this thread as solved.

i want to save data in notpad help .how can i do it ???

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.