Hello, I'm making a little app that runs through a Richtextbox and makes it turn string "[BK]" red.
But I can't get it to make all of the "[BK]"'s red.

i found this little piece of code, but I can't get it to work, it looks like it should though.

Dim textEnd As Integer = TextBox1.TextLength
            Dim index As Integer = 0
            Dim lastIndex As Integer = TextBox1.Text.LastIndexOf(TextBox1.Text)

While index < lastIndex
                TextBox1.SelectionStart = TextBox1.Find(TextBox1.Text, index, textEnd, RichTextBoxFinds.None)
                TextBox1.SelectionColor = Color.Red
                index = TextBox1.Text.IndexOf("[BK]", index) + 1
            End While

Any help is appreciated:)
-Zander

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

First, take a look at thread Search multiple words using Find method. That's about highlighting all occurrences of the given string.

Secondly, you have a control with a name TextBox1, which is the default name for the first text box control dropped on the form. First rich text box would be RichTextBox1 by default. Although text boxes don't have Find method or SelectionColor property, are you sure you're using a rich text box and not text box? (You do have Option Strict On and Option Explicit On, right?)

Its a richtextbox, i just renamed it for faster typing :P

Ill go try that link out and post the results later.

Ok, your code it that topic worked perfectly!

Dim FoundAtPosition As Integer

FoundAtPosition = RichTextBox1.Find("foo", RichTextBoxFinds.MatchCase)
Do Until FoundAtPosition < 0
  ' Highlight text
  ' Search next occurrence
  FoundAtPosition = RichTextBox1.Find("foo", FoundAtPosition + 1, RichTextBoxFinds.MatchCase)
Loop

Thanks a lot teme!
-Zander

Hi! Nice to hear that you got answer to your problem. Could you please mark the thread as solved. Thank you! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.