Hi All,

I am sed and awk illiterate and needed some assistance. I would like to write a script that will have sed replace all spaces with \space.

For example.

Program Files would be... Program\ Files

I can figure out how to replace the space with a backslash, however, when I add a space in there it complains that it is not terminated. Does anyone out there know how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by wickedjargon

If I understand correctly, you want to replace all space occurances to "\space" where space represents the space, ' ', character:

sed -i 's/ /\\ /' [i]file[/i]

To clarify:
sed — Is the program.
-i — Is a sed option that can edit files in place (makes backup if extension supplied)
s/ / — Finds all occurances of space
\\ / — Replaces the space with '\ '. Without the single quotation marks.
file — Is the input file.

For reference, the s command is the substitution command. The / / statement is to find any occurance of a space. The \\ / statement will replace the space, ' ', found with '\ '.

- Stack Overflow

Woohoo! That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to respond, as well as the clear explanation.

I am designing a text translator in which I have to replace a array of string to another string :
cmptr is an elctrnc mchn
It should be translated to : computer is an electronic machine.
(Irrespective of the case-senitivity)
Can anyone help me?

I want to find '\&' and replace with '&' in txt file.

Edited by rameshyv

Hello folks, i have been search hard on this one, any help is apperciated. I want to take what is in the clipboard and replace all occurances of " " (space) that occurs between numbers with "" (ie, remove spaces between numbers). So if the clipbaord has 3 1 1 1. it would replace it with 3111. Thanks

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.