Hey all,
For sort of a final project, I want to build a program in Java (if it's possible) that works much like the GMail Notifier except I want to make it popup a notification if I receive a new email in my yahoo, hotmail, or google accounts. Does anybody know how this can be accomplished? Basically, I just need to know how to connect with each of the email servers (if it's posible) and return true if there is new mail at that email address. Thank you ahead of time.

-Nick Nisi

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Check out JavaMail. It's a complete email API for Java, can work with just about any protocol (SMTP and POP3 are built in, MAPI and IMAP too I think).

i've been reading about JavaMail and I'm a little confused. can you please give me some example code to help explain it?

Thanks,
Ian

Oh yeah, I understand if you think I'm just hunting for source code - but I'm not. I just wanted a little code to point me in the right direction.

Ya, I'm with C++ on that. I downloaded the JavaMail API and it didn't make too much sense to me either.

hmm, it's not that hard :)

I think there's a sample in the J2EE documentation. If not get the book "the art of Java" ISBN 0072229713 which contains a complete EMail client created using JavaMail and Swing (as well as some very interesting other applications showing off some of the things Java can do that many people never realise).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.