Hi

I am currently porting (well really totally re-writing) a project to run on WM6 devices. I need to initiate a GPRS data connection (or any internet data connection really, shouldn't matter if its GSM or CDMA) before I can get the data I need (actually sync. a database over the cell network - Sybase via Mobilink) because right now its basically saying I have no network connection when I make the call to sync the db.

If I open Internet Explorer on the device, it initiates the data connection, and I can then go back into my program and get the data no problem. This isn't an acceptable solution however.

How can I initiate the internet data connection?

Regards,
Scott

This seems to work, but relies on being able to resolve a particular domain:

Dim url As String = "http://www.google.com"
            Dim req As System.Net.WebRequest = System.Net.WebRequest.Create(url)
            Dim result As System.Net.WebResponse = req.GetResponse()

Is there a way to just connect?

Anybody want to chime in on whether or not they think this is a good solution? Better ideas to try? Any help or suggestions (constructive and on-topic of course) would be greatly appreciated.

Actually on Sprint they have added a "block" so that Internet Sharing will not initiate a Data/Evdo session without a PAM plan (you can select PAM or PCS but PCS is blocked), to make I.S. work with the PCS option you simply open IE on the ppc to start a data connection FIRST then connect using Internet Sharing. (Those techs are pretty clever aren't they )

There is a reg edit you can do to remove the "block" so that Internet Sharing works normally and will open a data session itself. The edit removes a link to the rilphone.dll, when I.S tries to initiate a data session itself, it is blocked by the rilphone.dll.

Delete the following rilphone.dll entry (you are not deleting an actual .dll just the link I.S.opens with it)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
"Extension"="rilphone.dll"

Usual registry disclaimer applies "know what you're doing or make a backup or both"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.