I am currently porting (well really totally re-writing) a project to run on WM6 devices. I need to initiate a GPRS data connection (or any internet data connection really, shouldn't matter if its GSM or CDMA) before I can get the data I need (actually sync. a database over the cell network - Sybase via Mobilink) because right now its basically saying I have no network connection when I make the call to sync the db.

If I open Internet Explorer on the device, it initiates the data connection, and I can then go back into my program and get the data no problem. This isn't an acceptable solution however.

How can I initiate the internet data connection?

Edited by rciprogrammer: n/a

8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by shifa888

This seems to work, but relies on being able to resolve a particular domain:

Dim url As String = "http://www.google.com"
            Dim req As System.Net.WebRequest = System.Net.WebRequest.Create(url)
            Dim result As System.Net.WebResponse = req.GetResponse()

Is there a way to just connect?

Anybody want to chime in on whether or not they think this is a good solution? Better ideas to try? Any help or suggestions (constructive and on-topic of course) would be greatly appreciated.

Actually on Sprint they have added a "block" so that Internet Sharing will not initiate a Data/Evdo session without a PAM plan (you can select PAM or PCS but PCS is blocked), to make I.S. work with the PCS option you simply open IE on the ppc to start a data connection FIRST then connect using Internet Sharing. (Those techs are pretty clever aren't they )

There is a reg edit you can do to remove the "block" so that Internet Sharing works normally and will open a data session itself. The edit removes a link to the rilphone.dll, when I.S tries to initiate a data session itself, it is blocked by the rilphone.dll.

Delete the following rilphone.dll entry (you are not deleting an actual .dll just the link I.S.opens with it)

Usual registry disclaimer applies "know what you're doing or make a backup or both"
dial up connection
Temecula family law attorney

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.