I am trying to upgrade a number of older VB3 and VB4 projects to VB6. While there are no .dll calls in the form code, I assume that there are some associated with the old controls. I can get the projects to run in the VB6 development environment but when I put a distribution package together, the Setup file tries to load old dlls into the new computer (e.g. COMCAT.dll and MFC40.dll from 1998). The computer says that you are trying to load an older version and offers to use the one (say, 2004) in my XP computer. . . but when I restart, I'm back in the same place.

Is there any way I can get around this without re-developing the (several) forms using the VB6 system?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Is there any way I can get around this without re-developing the (several) forms using the VB6 system?

In your VB6 code are you pointing to the latest versions of the *.DLLs?? They typically are backwards compatible, but may require minimal changes if needed. What are you using to deploy the binaries? Microsoft Package and Deployment Kit?

In your VB6 code are you pointing to the latest versions of the *.DLLs?? They typically are backwards compatible, but may require minimal changes if needed. What are you using to deploy the binaries? Microsoft Package and Deployment Kit?

My VB code does not, itself, call any dlls. If called, they are called by the controls themselves. I am using the MPDK to deploy. I'm wondering if I can simply replace the "old" dlls in the MPDK package with new versions . . . ?

That could work, but you definitely want to test before deploying...

That did not work . . . same problem. However, my projects are pretty simple (simple forms with text boxes, labels, a few lists and option/check boxes with only straightforward file reading/writing and printing. Perhaps just distributing the .exe files (which appears to work) will be enough.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.