Hi there everyone.
I'm new to Python, and i'm programming a game application, using pyOpenGL.
The thing is, the program crashes and exits when i push a key (but i don't want (at least for now) help for that), but i wish i could see the error that appears on the Shell, but i can't because it disappears too quick. My question is then, where can i see the error that occurred? Is there a LOG file that displays all the errors that happened since i installed Python? Once i've seen some guy doing that by going to cmd, launching his program by there and seeing the error, but i have no ideia how to do that.
I really would appreciate any kind of help, thank you in advance guys.
I'm using Windows XP SP3, Python 2.6, and pyOpenGL (i assume i downloaded the last version of it).
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I take it that you are using something like notepad to write the script and then you are just runnning the script through the python console straight off. There are several ways that I have been able to see errors. Print-screen can help sometimes, but not when the console is obscured by a window. There are some things that work for me that may not for you. For example, if I 'grab' and hold on to a PyGame/PyOpenGL window, it freezes the Python console whilst I have hold of it. If you still can't see it, then the only other way to do it would be to get an IDE. Netbeans is a great IDE for Python development. Just go on netbeans.org and download any one of the language specific IDE bases, and add Python as a plugin (PM me if you need help with this).

Hello there.
SgtMe: i've figured out a way to see the error! I go to cmd (command prompt), to the directory where the file is, and simply type the name of the file (.py) and after the script crashes, the error appears on the command prompt. :)
By the way, i'm not using any third-party editor like notepad / notepad++, i've been using the IDLE editor that comes with Python 2.6!
Thank you for the help though, i'll take a look at that netBeans=)
peace out

The cmd is quite handy.

I made a simple batch file to open a cmd in the directory its in, that way I just copy the batch file to the folder I'm scripting in and can open it from there; instead of having to cd to the directory I want.

the batch file looks like this.

start

Just save it as cmd.bat. Makes things a lot easier.

To further my 2 cents, I use PyScripter as my default editor.

Solved?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.