Hello all. I'm rather new to "Posting threads", but here it goes...

I built a system for my office. I installed Windows XP Pro, all the necessary software, applied the Group Policy, and installed SP2. When all was said and done, I ran SYSPREP so I could create an Image with Symantec Ghost 7.5. All went well until I booted the imaged system. It went through the normal setup/installing devices, etc. At the end of that, before it boots to the Windows logon screen, I get a "setup - Application Error" message: The instruction at "0x5f1a340b" referenced memory at "0x00000014". The memory could not be "read".

I've searched the web for some support regarding this issue, but haven't found anything. Could the installation of SP2 be the cause?

Please help, anyone,

Keoki

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. After ghost finishes, the system reboots and then during the mini-setup I get the error:

Setup.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x5f1a340b" referenced memory at "0x00000014". The memory could not be "read".

Was hoping that maybe you had found a fix for this problem. If you have, please reply. I'm racking my brain over this one and getting no where.
Also if you found anyway around it to get the same result please post.

I did find out how to fix the computer from going through the loop. Visit:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287506

Cheers,
Maxi

Sometimes those errors can be caused by faulty hardware - a processor which is failing, RAM modules which are faulty or mismatched, etc, etc.

But most of the time they will be the result of software issues. In this case, it is most likely a program which is causing the problem, and if it results from a conflict with SP2 then the first place I'd start looking is any Symantec/Norton products in use!

It's not a hardware issue. I'm using one machine to create the image, another to test it, two different models altogether. I create an image about every two months, and this is the first time I've seen this at all. I don't believe it has anything to do with the mini setup either.

What I'm thinking is either policies, or one of 20 IA patches for XP that has come out recently.

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one getting an error unreferenced by MS, but as soon as I figure this out, I'll post it.

Mark

I built a system for my office. I installed Windows XP Pro, all the necessary software, applied the Group Policy, and installed SP2. When all was said and done, I ran SYSPREP so I could create an Image with Symantec Ghost 7.5. All went well until I booted the imaged system. It went through the normal setup/installing devices, etc. At the end of that, before it boots to the Windows logon screen, I get a "setup - Application Error" message: The instruction at "0x5f1a340b" referenced memory at "0x00000014". The memory could not be "read".

I've searched the web for some support regarding this issue, but haven't found anything. Could the installation of SP2 be the cause?

Please help, anyone,

Keoki

has anyone found the answer to this error? (0x5f1a340b memory could not be read)? ...if not, i have it. realizing this is an old post, email me if ye need help figuring out the answer.

Keoki,

I've recently experienced the same issue (exact same memory location) and am currently troubleshooting it. Have you resolved this issue yet? What mechanism did you use to apply security settings? Did you use Security Configuration and Analysis? So far, I am under the impression that some security settings are causing the conflict. I don't believe it is SP2 - I've successfully syspreped a virgin-XP/Office 2003 installation w/SP2.

Keoki,

In case you're still trying to resolve the issue, ensure that the Telephony service is started prior to running sysprep on the master system. Good luck.

Hi Everyone:

Recently I happened to achieve the same error, I read the thread and you were right, it was the telephony service. So I booted from CD, in command mode and wrote the follwing command:

enable TapiSrv STARTUP_AUTOMATIC_MODE (or something like that, just type enable /? and you'll get the right mode)

After that, I rebooted my machine (which was sysprep'ed) and voila!! ... everything works like a charm!!

Hope this can be useful.

Greetings

Heiner

I just want to second the fact that the starting of the tapisrv does fix the memory error, this is also linked in services to Telephony and the actual command is enable tapisrv SERVICE_AUTO_START!

Thank you for taking the time to share, this saved me two days of work for 30 workstations that I couldn't get past mini-setup with out your help!!!

R

Hi Everyone:

Recently I happened to achieve the same error, I read the thread and you were right, it was the telephony service. So I booted from CD, in command mode and wrote the follwing command:

enable TapiSrv STARTUP_AUTOMATIC_MODE (or something like that, just type enable /? and you'll get the right mode)

After that, I rebooted my machine (which was sysprep'ed) and voila!! ... everything works like a charm!!

Hope this can be useful.

Greetings

Heiner

I just want to second the fact that the starting of the tapisrv does fix the memory error, this is also linked in services to Telephony and the actual command is enable tapisrv SERVICE_AUTO_START!

Thank you for taking the time to share, this saved me two days of work for 30 workstations that I couldn't get past mini-setup with out your help!!!

R

I know this is an old-ish post but please could you help meII! I am blocked from accessing my administrator account on my computer because I get the following message each time I attempt to log in:

"Instruction at "0x7e44089d" referenced memory at "0x000003ff". The memory could not be "read"."

I see that there is a solution to the problem but it appears too advanced for me as I am a complete novice at software issues.. Would someone please be able to explain step by step what to do?

Thanks!!

is this windows xp?
try booting into safe mode, hit the f8 key several times while booting until you get an option for safe mode, if you can get into safe mode try doing a complete start shutdown and restart and logging in again
if that doesn't work then try safe mode again go to control panel-> users and create an alternate administrator account
then restart and log in with the new account if you can get it you may want to consider a system restore to an earlier date when your system worked well.

good luck

is this windows xp?
try booting into safe mode, hit the f8 key several times while booting until you get an option for safe mode, if you can get into safe mode try doing a complete start shutdown and restart and logging in again
if that doesn't work then try safe mode again go to control panel-> users and create an alternate administrator account
then restart and log in with the new account if you can get it you may want to consider a system restore to an earlier date when your system worked well.

good luck

Thanks redpurrypuppy!!

Yes, it is Windows XP Professional.

I did what you said and managed to get into safe mode but the shutdown and restart did not resolve the problem - still can't log in under my own username. Through safe mode, I was able to log in as an administrator but "User Accounts" in the Control Panel doesn't open so I was also unable to create a new account. So, so far not much luck! Do you have any other ideas or is it safe to assume that I will have to buy a new computer? :(

Thanks again for the advice!

A

so were you able to log in with the new account that you created? If you can get it then I would suggest that you attempt to do a system restore.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

You can find the directions on how to do that above.

If you don't have a restore point that you can revert to that is earlier than when you started having issues than you may have to reformat.

Do you know if you did anything different right before you started having the problem, like installing a software program or adding a hardware device? Is your antivirus up to date?

If you installed some new software and you can get into safe mode you can uninstall it from the add/remove programs list in control panel. or remove a windows update, maybe you installed Service pack 2.

Hope this helps

Make sure you know the admin password or have cleared the administrator password before you try to access the Recovery Console. Type "enable" by itself on the command line to get the correct option.

Hi Everyone:

Hope this can be useful.

Greetings

Heiner

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.