Hi, i'm new to vb but acquainted with programming in java, C, and other languages. I´m developing an application and i'm having difficulties at commanding controls from different forms.

It's like this:

Form1 has some buttons and charts, and in Form2 it's a "Settings" form to select the category and series for the charts. When i close the Form2 i need to activate some controls like buttons in Form1 and the problem is that at run-time i can call functions like this one:

In Form1:

Public Sub EnableButton()
        button1.Enabled = True 
    End Sub

In Form2:

Public Sub BeforeClosing()
        Form1.EnableButton()    
        Me.close()
    End Sub

Using breaks i can see that they execute and the properties of the button change but after the close event of Form2, the properties of the button1 control become unchanged.

The same is happening to my chart but a little weirder (for me at least)

At the global variables i have:

Dim newChart As System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting.Chart

At ButtonX_Click i create a new chart and define some properties and in the end i activate the Form2

Private Sub ButtonSettings_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ButtonSettings.Click

newChart = New System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting.Chart
        newChart.Visible = False
        CType(newChart, System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).BeginInit()
        CType(newChart, System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).EndInit()

Me.Controls.Add(newChart)
        newChart.Parent = Me

newChart.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(Me.Location.X, Me.Location.Y)
        newChart.Height = Me.Height - 25
        newChart.Width = Me.Width

newChart.Name = "grafico"
        newChart.Text = "grafico"
        newChart.BorderlineWidth = 1
        newChart.BorderlineColor = Color.LightSteelBlue
        newChart.BorderlineDashStyle = DataVisualization.Charting.ChartDashStyle.Solid

Form2.Show()

End Sub

When i leave Form2 i do:

Private Sub B_OK_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles B_OK.Click

[I]    ...
    SOME CODE
    ...[/I]

Form1.button_ShowChart.PerformClick()
    Me.Close()
end sub

Finally at Form1 i create a ChartArea and when i want to use the chart it says that the chart is NULL

Private Sub button_ShowChart_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles button_ShowChart.Click

Dim ChartArea1 As New System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting.ChartArea
    ChartArea1.Visible = False
    ChartArea1.Name = newTable.TableName & "_" & [B][U]newChart.ChartAreas.Count[/U][/B]

[I]    ...
    SOME MORE CODE
[/I]
end sub

So the sequence is:

Form1
Execute: Button_Settings_Click -> initialize chart and Form2.Show()
Happens: Chart Initialized and properties are changed
Form2
Execute: Button_OK_Click -> Form1.Button_ShowChart.PerformClick() and Me.Close()
Happens: Sub .PerformClick() executes but values are not changed
Form1
Execute: Button_ShowChart_Click -> Add data to Chart
Happens: Chart is found as NULL and properties are lost

I can't understand why does this happens, why does the controls properties are lost if they are executed???

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Wereever, I have asked the moderators to move your post to the .Net section. I am sure someone there will be able to help you over there. You have posted in VB6 unfortunately.

Good luck in finding your solution.

Ok, thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.