Hi.

I want to backup and restore the database by using vb.net.I have a problem here.
.This dialogue box appear.

"

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open backup device 'C:\Documents and Settings\S\My Documents\sales.Bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

"

Can anyone help me to tell me why it's occur and how to solve it...
tq

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Can anyone help me to tell me why it's occur

The file is locked and/or you just don't have proper privilege to access that file.

how to solve it...

You're dealing with SQL Server, right? SQL Server already has built-in backup/restore functionality and you can take advantage of that with T-SQL. You'll find everything about T-SQL in MSDN. Here's "How to: Create a Full Database Backup (Transact-SQL)" for SQL Server 2008 R2. Use MSDN's search to locate similar example for restoring database.

Finally, the "glue" between VB.NET and T-SQL comes from System.Data.SqlClient namespace. Do some googling and you'll find how to use connection and command objects to send T-SQL to SQL Server (unless you're already familiar with that).

HTH

thanks..

How to open the lock or enable the database to the file or maybe i'm not aware that i locked it.

Can you explain to me the several reason i can't access the file..

The database engine runs under a user context. You can open services (Start->run->services.msc) and scroll down to SQL Server (MSSQL Server). Note the user under 'Log On As'. This user must have permissions to that directory.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.