Hi there,

I understand that this question might be better off in "hardwareAndSoftware/LinuxAndUnix/LinuxApplicationsAndSoftware". But the truth is, that it takes for ever for someone to respond to posts there, because I don't think anybody visits that forum alot.

Anyways, back to the point...
I'm trying to install the Java 1.6 JDK. I downloaded it at: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
I chose the Linux 32bit version. (Attached is an image of exactly what I chose)..

When I tried running the .sh file in the Terminal, I got this error:
"Could not locate suitable jar utility. Please ensure you have java 6 or newer installed on your system and accessible in your PATH or by setting JAVA-HOME."

Now that doesn't make sense, why does it ask me to make sure I have java 6 or newer installed on my system, if I'm trying to install it right now?. Could this be that I downloaded the wrong thing from Oracle? Or that I have to set this PATH thing they talking about, and if so, what is the right thing I have to download, or how do I set this PATH??

Thanks in Advance!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

System.getProperty(), can returns you any accesible enviroments path or variables

huh? Your answer is rather vague... okay so I type System.getProperty() in the Terminal and it returns me all the accesible enviroment paths and variables. Then i'll see that the java one is not there, but what I don't understand. Is that ofcourse it won't be there, because java is not yet installed on the machine??

Is there something I'm not getting here?

...That System.getProperty() looks a lot like some Java method... Not like a Linux terminal cmd?

Nevermind... Figured it out....agian

this info missed there

because java is not yet installed on the machine

no idea that's really very strange, it would be -> root access to the install path

I think it might be that I downloaed the wrong thing from oracle?

since September 2010(merging Sun with Oracle), there all things are possible throught EU working hours

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.