I TRY TO MAKE CODE COUNTER WITH CODE MR/IR/001 IN MY APPLICATION USING VISUAL BASIC 2008, BUT WHEN THE CODE GET MR/IR/999 IT`S STUCK AND NOT INCREASING, I WANT TO MAKE THE CODE INCREASE TO :
MR/IR/1000
MR/IR/1001
MR/IR/1002
MORE AND MORE ...

FOR DATABASE I`M USING MS ACCESS 2007

PLZ HELP ME...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dim strTemp As String = ""
Dim strValue As String = ""
Dim sql As String

sql = "SELECT * FROM DETAILPERIKSA ORDER BY IDPERIKSA DESC"
cmd = New OleDbCommand(sql, Conn)
dtReader = cmd.ExecuteReader
If dtReader.Read Then
strTemp = Mid(dtReader.Item("IDPERIKSA"), 7, 4)

Else
TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/001"
Exit Sub
End If
msgBox(strTemp)
strValue = Val(strTemp) + 1
TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/" & Mid("000", 1, 3 - strValue.Length) & strValue

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

See if this helps.

Dim sCounter As String = "MR/IR/001" '// for testing.
        Dim sTemp As String = Nothing '// temp string.
        sTemp = sCounter.Substring(sCounter.LastIndexOf("/") + 1) '// get all char.s after the last "/".
        sTemp = CInt(CInt(sTemp) + 1).ToString("000") '// increment # +1, and Format it to 3 char. if less than 1000.
        MsgBox(sCounter.Substring(0, sCounter.LastIndexOf("/") + 1) & sTemp) '// display result.

See if this helps.

Dim sCounter As String = "MR/IR/001" '// for testing.
        Dim sTemp As String = Nothing '// temp string.
        sTemp = sCounter.Substring(sCounter.LastIndexOf("/") + 1) '// get all char.s after the last "/".
        sTemp = CInt(CInt(sTemp) + 1).ToString("000") '// increment # +1, and Format it to 3 char. if less than 1000.
        MsgBox(sCounter.Substring(0, sCounter.LastIndexOf("/") + 1) & sTemp) '// display result.

thanks for reply :)

but The code is not reading the database, when try your code it`s pop up in msgbox, The code MR/IR/001 I want to show in textbox a.k.a TxtTxtDETAILTRANS.Text in my aplications

My database already had code from MR/IR/001 to MR/IR/999, I want to fill the database with MR/IR/1000 to MR/IR/5000 :'(:'(

by the way. thanks for reply

This was not tested, but should work.

Dim strTemp As String = ""
        Dim sql As String = "SELECT * FROM DETAILPERIKSA ORDER BY IDPERIKSA DESC"
        cmd = New OleDbCommand(sql, Conn)
        If dtReader.Read Then
            strTemp = dtReader.Item("IDPERIKSA").ToString
            strTemp = strTemp.Substring(strTemp.LastIndexOf("/") + 1) '// get all char.s after the last "/".
        Else
            TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/001"
            Exit Sub
        End If
        'MsgBox(strTemp)
        TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/" & CInt(CInt(strTemp) + 1).ToString("000") '// increment # +1, and Format it to 3 char. if less than 1000.

I try your code, and when start debuging the counter get MR/IR/1000 and I try input my data when I finished Input my data I click the button in my aplication it`s work fine...:)
when I check the record is in my database I Think is work... so I try again to start a new order data when click start the button it`s still show the record MR/IR/1000 (The COUNTER Won`t INCREASING0 it should had MR/IR/1001:'(:
so, I try to change the char from 3 to 4
TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/" & CInt(CInt(strTemp) + 1).ToString("000")
to
TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/" & CInt(CInt(strTemp) + 1).ToString("0000")

:'(:'(it`s still not change anything, the counter record still show MR/IR/1000 not MR/IR/1001

thanks for reply

still need help

Dear Igho,

I have tested and it works fine.

If you need counter MR/IR/0001 to MR/IR/9999

Try this codes as i modify two lines ....

If dtReader.Read Then
strTemp = Mid(dtReader.Item("IDPERIKSA"), 7, 4)

Else
'TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/001" 
TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/0001" 'change here
Exit Sub
End If
msgBox(strTemp)
'TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/" & Mid("000", 1, 3 - strValue.Length) & strValue 
 TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/" & Mid("0000", 1, 4 - strValue.Length) & strValue ' change here

or If you need counter MR/IR/00001 to MR/IR/99999

Try this codes as i modify three lines....

If dtReader.Read Then
'strTemp = Mid(dtReader.Item("IDPERIKSA"), 7, 4)
strTemp = Mid(dtReader.Item("IDPERIKSA"), 7, 5) ' change here

Else
TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/00001" 'change here
Exit Sub
End If
msgBox(strTemp)
 TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/" & Mid("00000", 1, 5 - strValue.Length) & strValue ' change here

I try your code I change Two Lines

#
#
TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/0001" 'change here
#
#
#
TxtDETAILTRANS.Text = "MR/IR/" & Mid("0000", 1, 4 - strValue.Length) & strValue ' change here

but I it`s show MR/IR/1000 it`s not increasing to MR/IR/1001, I already had database record from MR/IR/001 to MR/IR/999, I want to continue to fill the database record after the record MR/IR/999 but it`s just stuck.....

what was wrong :'(:'(:'(

thanks for reply

You have to change the filed data MR/IR/001 --- MR/IR/999 to MR/IR/0001 -- MR/IR/0999 in your database then my codes will works. --- for first 2 line changer code

you can check by changing the last records filed MR/IR/999 to MR/IR/0999

And same as for three line changer also...

You need four digit number after "MR/IR/", so you have to keep your field like MR/IR/0001, MR/IR/0002 .... MR/IR/0997, MR/IR/0998 then it will increase to MR/IR/0999, MR/IR/1000, MR/IR/1001 so on, up to MR/IR/9999.

If you keep your filed MR/IR/001, MR/IR/002 -- MR/IR/999. It will give error like "Argument length must be greater or equal to zero".

see it and check it.

Thank a lot for your replay, Thanks very to codeorder and P.Manidas for post replay in my thread...
Problem solved when change the database like p.manidas told me, I change The table database that related to the code and finally It`s Work

Thank a lot :):):)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.