I'm not sure on which forum this thread should have gone,so I'm asking here.
I presently don't have a personal computer to work on,and won't have one for another few months.I want to be able to continue practising C++.
I have access to a computer centre facility.I don't think it is allowed to install Visual Studio(or Visual C++ alone)on a computer there.
I was wondering if I could install Visual Studio on a pen drive and carry it around to the computers I work with?
Will copying the Visual Studio files to a pen drive and using that pen drive in the computer work?
Any other suggestions are welcome.
Any other IDEs that would do the job?
What should I do?
(And I do only simple programming now.Only console(text) based)
Thank You
Please help

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You want a compiler/IDE something that doesn't need to be installed on the host machine. Obviously that excludes Visual Studio. ;) IIRC, Digital Mars is like that. If it's already built, MinGW can be "installed" simply by copying the files (I'd recommend the nuwen build), and for an IDE Code::Blocks nightlies are also install-by-copy.

commented: I had never heard of the nuwen build, thanks +14

Thank You,will try them.

Hi there!
I have been trying those,but haven't been able to install them.
I am confused about what each of them are.
Code::Blocks is an IDE but the others?
Code::Blocks requires :
1.a nightly build 2.mingwm10.dll 3.wxmsw28u_gcc_cb.dll

The first two I found,the last ... wxmsw28u_gcc_cb.dll I haven't.
Can you please tell me where I can find it?

I have been reading here:
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_make_Code::Blocks_portable.3F
I need the dll to finish the job.

I got MinGW,and it contained several exe files all of which opened as console windows.What am I to do with them?

Please help me!

The first two I found,the last ... wxmsw28u_gcc_cb.dll I haven't.
Can you please tell me where I can find it?

The nightly build thread links to it... :icon_rolleyes:

I got MinGW,and it contained several exe files all of which opened as console windows.What am I to do with them?

Nothing. You'll use them through Code::Blocks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.