please kindly help me!!!
what i wanted is when i select items in the combobox and it is already in the database it will prompt that it is already in the database..tnx

Private Sub ComboBox3_Validating(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs) Handles ComboBox3.Validating
If ComboBox3.Validating Then
    con = New OleDbConnection("Provider= Microsoft.ACE.oledb.12.0; Data Source=C:\Users\edenzam\Desktop\CBFMNHS Enrollment System\CBFMNHS Enrollment System\bin\Debug\Enrollment System.accdb")
     Dim ewaaa As String = "Select * from SchedulingTwos where YearLevels = '" & ComboBox1.Text & "'"
     com = New OleDbCommand(ewaaa, con)
     con.Open()
     com.ExecuteNonQuery()
     rid = com.ExecuteReader
     rid.Read()
If (rid.HasRows) Then
ComboBox3.Text = rid(2)
MsgBox("Section Already Exist", MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Error")
ComboBox3.SelectedIndex = -1
End If
End If
End Sub

First. Get rid of the line com.ExecuteNonQuery(). You ARE executing a query.
Second. In order to compare the selected item in the combobox with the result from the query, you should actually perform a check on it.
Not assign it.
Replace Combobox3.Text = rid(2) with If Combobox3.Text = rid(2) Then

Also. Close the database connection when you're done.

try the below one

Private Sub ComboBox3_Validating(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs) Handles ComboBox3.Validating
        If ComboBox3.Validating Then
            con = New OleDbConnection("Provider= Microsoft.ACE.oledb.12.0; Data Source=C:\Users\edenzam\Desktop\CBFMNHS Enrollment System\CBFMNHS Enrollment System\bin\Debug\Enrollment System.accdb")
             Dim ewaaa As String = "Select * from SchedulingTwos where YearLevels = '" & ComboBox1.Text & "'"
             con.Open()
             rid = com.ExecuteReader
            if rid.reader=true Then
               ' ComboBox3.Text = rid(2)
            End If
        End If
    End Sub

Edited 4 Years Ago by poojavb: add

@oxiegen how do i do this? Second. In order to compare the selected item in the combobox with the result from the query, you should actually perform a check on it.
Not assign it.

dont use the earlier if condition

use the below select query

"Select * from SchedulingTwos where YearLevels = '" & ComboBox1.Text & "'" and Sections = '" & ComboBox3.Text & '""

if this condition is true then u will get the alert message that the section is already added

' If ComboBox3.Validating Then
    Dim ewaaa As String = "Select * from SchedulingTwos where YearLevels = '" & ComboBox1.Text & "'" and Sections = '" & ComboBox3.Text & "'"
    con.Open()
    rid = com.ExecuteReader
    if rid.reader=true Then
    ' ComboBox3.Text = rid(2)
    End If
  '  End If
    End Sub

this code generates an error com = New OleDbCommand(ewaaa, con) it says that ewaaa is not declared

If ComboBox3.Text = "'" Then
Dim ewaaa As String = "Select * from Schedulings where YearLevels = '" & ComboBox3.Text & "' And Sections = '" & ComboBox1.Text & "' "
con.Open()
rid = com.ExecuteReader
rid.Read()
If (rid.HasRows) Then
ComboBox3.Text = rid(2)
End If
End If
End Sub

i think the problem is in this part "If ComboBox3.Text = "'" Then" i just don't know how to manipulate combobox when the event is validating...please help me

Remove that if (If ComboBox3.Text = "'") condition y u need it???

and u have written double quotes then single quote and then double quotes in the if condition for combobox text....y u need that??? remove the single quote and keep it just If ComboBox3.Text = "" Then....i would recommend to remove that condition

anyways if this is the condition it wont enter the if loop anytime...

Edited 4 Years Ago by poojavb: add

What poojavb is saying is that you do not need those single and double quotes.
Single quotes in SQL are used to represet a string DATA value. The double quotes you are using to creating a string
in VB.NET

Example:

Dim strn As String = "This is the correct way to declare a string."
Dim strn2 As String = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE columm='" & myString & "'"

thank you for the replies i'll try doing this an update if it is solved and if their are still problems

i change my codes to this:
Dim ewaaa As String = "Select * from Schedulings where YearLevels = '" & ComboBox3.Text & "' And Sections = '" & ComboBox1.Text & "' "
con.Open()
rid = com.ExecuteReader
rid.Read()
If (rid.HasRows = True) Then
ComboBox3.Text = rid(2)
Else
' do nothing
End If
End Sub

bit still it is not working

Check the other thread of yours, I have answered you there.
And close this one, we will continue discussion in one thread only.
Ok?
thx in advance,
bye

U can use Debug.Print("text: "+ text) to check the value...if u dont know how to use debugger

it will show the value of the word declared as a variable but it should be string else convert it to String...

Try this below code...

Private Sub ComboBox3_SelectedIndexChanged(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs)
Dim ewaaa As String = "SELECT * FROM Schedulings WHERE YearLevels = '" & ComboBox3.SelectedItem.ToString() & "' AND Sections = '" & ComboBox1.SelectedItem.ToString() & "'"
con.Open()
rid = com.ExecuteReader()
If rid.Read = True Then
MsgBox("Section Already Exist", MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Error");
else
MsgBox("Section does not Exist", MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Error");
End If
End Sub

Edited 4 Years Ago by poojavb

instead of & use + sign.....if still it does not work then try to convert SelectedItem.ToString to Text....hope it works for u...

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.