Winforms VS. WPF

ITT:
Your opinion on the two
Your reason for coming to that discision
Your approval/disapproval of Microsoft abandoning WinForms
How this impacts your vb.net skills

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

It sucks (abandoning WinForms). I'm awfully tired of Microsoft pushing their "latest and greatest", then abandoning it for the next "latest and greatest". Because I develop apps only for my personal use I will likely just continue usinig WinForms under Visual Studio 2010 as long as it continues to run. I figure that when I finally make the move to WPF Microsoft will toss it in favour of the next next best thing.

I agree, I do not like that Microsoft is tossing winforms for WPF.

Seems to me like they are leaning more and more torward the "Metro Mindset".

I personally could care less what an app LOOKs like, it's about the programming and logic behind the app.

WPF just seems like it is getting more and more taxing on hardware.

Ofcourse, it looks good, but you pay for looks.

cough Apple cough

I am with WPF. Its really good to work in Expression blend. And it keeps happening new replaces old.

(abandoning WinForms)

:D microsoft keeps doing this almost everytime. I have read some articles that microsoft was releasing new games to promote Vista but some hacking group cracked it to work on XP.

WPF just seems like it is getting more and more taxing on hardware.

Ya thats true because of vector graghics. But still I am ready to compramise with it for cool graphics :)

In the classic sci-fi novel, The Shockwave Rider, John Brunner wrote

There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, " This is new, and therefore better.”

My thoughts, exactly. I think I will take an existing app that I developed in WinForms and reproduce it in WPF and see what I think of the differences.

I think I will take an existing app that I developed in WinForms and reproduce it in WPF and see what I think of the differences.

Thats great. When I upgraded to VB.NET from VB6 I first tried to upgrade my old project to VB.NET.

I have used WinForms primarily, but have attempted a few small projects with WPF.

My biggest issue is the taxation on hardware. Not everyone has an up to date pc.

Heck, I still know people who are on Windows 98. D:

Does anyone have anything else to add to the discussion?

If not, I will go ahead and close the thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.