If am writing a VB.Net module for a project I am working on and have decided to try out different ways of doing some things, without getting rid of the older code that worked. I am selecting between these methods by setting a #Const at the beginning of the Module file, and using #If / #ElseIf / #Else / #End If to select the different methods in the code. I plan to later select each method one at a time and profile the results to see which is actually best (memory, speed, etc.) for my needs. I want to able to tell the compiler that I screwed up if I use an invalid value for the controlling #Const; at that point, I want to the compiler to stop and give me a configurable message. Sort of like VB.Net's Debug.Fail but at compile time, not run time.

What I am doing at this point is:

#Else
        #Error("An invalid ClllMethod was selected.  Go back to the top of the file and fix it.")
#End If

While this definitely gets the compiler to complain, it is not the error message I was expecting. I guess I am so used to C++'s #error and #warning directives and I am looking for that functionality in VB.Net. Can anybody give me some advice on how this is supposed to be handled in this language?

Edited by Nutster: Remove unneeded line.

Contributors
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by john.knapp

As far as I can tell there are no direct equivalents to those particular preprocessor directives. There is an interesting writeup here on using the VB.Net ppd's though.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.