Hi All,

Hopefully a quick one but I don't think it will be :(

I have a piece of software which is a data logger and plays sounds when users have been inactive for a period of time etc... The software also plays a type of audio file upon a user request. The issue is I need the sounds to be played out of the device all the time except when the user wants to play a specific file at which point I need it to come out of the head phone socket, lead is in and goes to some external speakers.

Is this possible in vb.net or is it a hardware issue I need to contact sound card manufacturer about? I was hoping to avoid plugging in the aux cable everytime the user wants to play over external speakers. The only thing I was thinking that might solve it was if there was a way in vb.net to override the detection that there is a cable in the headphone port?

Cheers
Will

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'm pretty sure that the headphone jack is hardwired to disconnect the speaker jack when a cable is plugged in, all of the ones I've seen are set up that way. You might need a speaker switch.

That is correct. I've tried to find a way to have both the headphones and internal speakers active at the same time and was told (at least by Dell) that it would require a hardware mod.

Ahh ok, fair enough, thought that would be the case. I will either have them unplug the cable until required or have a switch between an in vehicle speaker and an external speaker added onto the cable from the headphone out. Don't want to be driving round with the roof speakers playing it has been 20 minutes since your last entry, lol.

Cheers
Will

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.