Hi To All,
I am a newbie.
I have 4 computers that I want to connect together as a LAN. I have a switch and ready cables.
One of the computers C1 will have a sqldatabase to be accessed by the other computers C2,C3 and C4.

1. How do I connect the computers so that my VB.net application should access the database?
  2. How do I set the connection string in the VB.net application to communicate with database in C1 when I have deployed it?

I intend to create a setup for the vb.net application and deploy it to C1, C2, C3 and C4.

Please give me a step-by-step explanation with examples. I know I need to make use of IP addresses.
No security configurations required.

Also refer to useful links if any.
Thanks

Votes + Comments
Contributors
Replies
Views
3 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by gbhs

How do I connect the computers so that my VB.net application should access the database?

If you mean how to create a network, there are a lot of options. The easiest approach is to buy a network switch with at least 4 ports and plug each computer into a switch port. Assign an IP address to each computer on the same subnet.

How do I set the connection string in the VB.net application to communicate with database in C1 when I have deployed it?

In the connection string, for the target server, you can specify the computer's netbios name if the 4 computers are on the same subnet, or the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) if this is part of a larger network with DNS, or the target IP address, if you are just doing this as a test and just need to quickly set this up.

For the connection:

Dim con as New MysqlConnection
Dim connectionstring As String

con = New MysqlConnection
connectionstring = ("Server = 127.0.0.1; User = root; password = mypassword; database = databasename")
con.ConnectionString = connectionstring 'the one defined in the previous line

con.open 'open the connection

'do what you want to do

con.close 'close the connection

(My code is for mysql, but i hope it works with SQL too.)
Try it and come back here if there is anything.

I have got some information as to how to connect the LAN similar to what you say. That I will do because I have a 4-port switch and cables.
My current connection string is
Conn.ConnectionString = "Server=blacklaptop;database=schooldbase;Trusted_Connection=True;"
I intend to change it to
Conn.ConnectionString = "Server=127.0.0.1;database=schooldbase;Trusted_Connection=True;"
hoping that it works with the connection and hoping that a firewall issue doesnt stop it.
Will come back from my journey and try, then get back here.
Thanks
Ohh
What if I create a (startup) form that specifies the database connection to my project's sql database so that i don't have to build it directly into my project code. In future the project may run in another LAN. Is That good?

Edited by gbhs

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.