Hi guys,

I currently have a custom network protocol I have written that uses the NetworkStream class. Within my protocol I have implemented a way to detect data that also works as a timeout. This seemed to be working fine until my client uploads an image of approx 24kb+ and then my timeout method fails and returns which then causes the upload to fail.

Does anybody have any pointers as to where I am going wrong? The code I have is below:

public bool WaitForData(int TimeoutSeconds)
            if (TimeoutSeconds < 0) // No timeout
                while (__netstream.DataAvailable == false) Thread.Sleep(1);
                return true;
                Stopwatch timer = new Stopwatch();

if (__netstream.DataAvailable) return true;
                while (timer.Elapsed.Seconds < TimeoutSeconds);

return false;

The way this code is/was used is:

public byte[] ReadBytes(int size) { return ReadBytes(size, null); }
        public byte[] ReadBytes(int size, Action<int> ProgressBar_Callback)
            byte[] barr = new byte[size];

for (int i = 0; i < barr.Length; )
                // the source of problems uploading invoices over approx 24kb:
                //if (WaitForData(__timeout) == false) throw new Exception("RawSocket ReadBytes() Timed Out: Total bytes read: " + i);

int read = __netstream.Read(barr, i, Math.Min(barr.Length - i, 8192));

i += read;

if (i % 10 == 0 && ProgressBar_Callback != null) ProgressBar_Callback(i * 100 / size);

if (ProgressBar_Callback != null) ProgressBar_Callback(100);

return barr;

Any ideas on improving? I am currently relying on the client not disconnecting during the upload.

Hi, if you don't want to rely on the client that he/she doesn't disconnects during the upload, then possibly you may think of developing your own service that would re-run this app if even someone closes OR provide some access controls that would stop anyone except the Admin to disconnect from your application.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.