Hi All

I have created a dataset and from this I want to retrieve values of a column into a variable. How can I do this?

This is the code:

Dim sQuery As String = "Select PERMISSION_BUTTON_ID from ALC_SECURITY_PERMISSION where ROLE_ID = 1"

Response.Write(sQuery)

Dim myAdapter As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter(sQuery, connectionString)

Dim mySet As DataSet = New DataSet

myAdapter.Fill(mySet, "ALC_SECURITY_PERMISSION")

From the above code I need to retrieve all the values of PERMISSION_BUTTON_ID retrieved from the Select statement inot a variable.

Please help

Recommended Answers

I am not sure what exactly you want to do... Obviously by looping through
mySet.Tables(0).Rows(i)("PERMISSION_BUTTON_ID") you can get all button ids... right?!

Jump to Post

Hi.

We appreciate your help. Have you ever noticed that the current thread is six years old? Please do not resurrect old threads and have a look at forum rules. Please read before …

Jump to Post

All 8 Replies

Ok now what I have done to this is:

Dim sQuery As String = "Select PERMISSION_BUTTON_ID from ALC_SECURITY_PERMISSION where ROLE_ID = 1"

'Response.Write(sQuery)

Dim myAdapter As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter(sQuery, connectionString)

Dim permID As String

permID = mySet.GetXml.ToString()

But now I am not sure how to retrieve values from this?

Is this a correct approach?

I am not sure what exactly you want to do... Obviously by looping through
mySet.Tables(0).Rows(i)("PERMISSION_BUTTON_ID") you can get all button ids... right?!

I'm not sure this will help, as I'm a beginner at this language myself, but here's code I figured out last night for my program...

da.Fill(EmployeeData)
                OleDbConnection1.Close()

Dim row As Data.DataRow
                Dim count As Integer = EmployeeData.Rows.Count
                Dim i As Integer = 0

For i = 0 To count - 1
                    'vSeq = EmployeeData.Rows(i).Item("Seq")

What we're doing in this snippet is filling my 'EmployeeData' dataset, setting up a counter to loop through all the records, and putting the value of the column "Seq" into my vSeq variable.

Hope this helped...

Hi All

I have created a dataset and from this I want to retrieve values of a column into a variable. How can I do this?

This is the code:

Response.Write(sQuery)

From the above code I need to retrieve all the values of PERMISSION_BUTTON_ID retrieved from the Select statement inot a variable.

Please help

suppose your dataset is -ds

you can see your data

msgbox(ds.Tables(0).rows(0).itemarray(0))

this is the first row / first column data

but you shuld have a atleast one row in the data set.

Other wise it should check with

if ds.tables(0).rows.count > 0 ...................

Hi,

Maybe this code can help you.

for each _row as DataRow in mySet.Tables("ALC_SECURITY_PERMISSION").Rows
msgbox( _row.Item("PERMISSION_BUTTON_ID").ToString())
Next

i would select column in dataset

Hi.

We appreciate your help. Have you ever noticed that the current thread is six years old? Please do not resurrect old threads and have a look at forum rules. Please read before posting again - http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread78223.html

Thread Closed.

commented: close++ -> rep++ :) +20
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.19 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.