Failed to access IIS metabase.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.

uninstall then reinstall IIS
if ddnt work
it most probably is a security issue( your application's clearence on IIS)

i installed fresh copy of IIS & check it's workin by typing http://localhost then it gave me page under construcion, so that means IIS is working correctly

but how to handle a security issue( your application's clearence on IIS) in case of Failed to access IIS metabase exception

uninstall then reinstall IIS
if ddnt work
it most probably is a security issue( your application's clearence on IIS)

start -> run -> inetmgr
right click on your app's directory
-> proprties
security
click the "windows authentication" check box,
i might be wrong tho
i have had that problem before
and i remember doing one of these 2 things
if not
maybe try to go to properties again
stay in the directory tab
mid-left, click on remove
then click on create directory
to create a new directory
it has to be an issue between .Net and IIS since i think you handle all your exceptions and the system error claims that there is an unhandled exception
i hop i am of any help

i did in other way i.e Integrated Windows authentication is the only selected check box. under anonymous access & authentication control in IIS , only integreted windows authentication check box is checked., but it still giving me the same error:

Server Error in '/flexispine' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Failed to access IIS metabase.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.

The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the IIS metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on modifying metabase permissions, please see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

start -> run -> inetmgr
right click on your app's directory
-> proprties
security
click the "windows authentication" check box,
i might be wrong tho
i have had that problem before
and i remember doing one of these 2 things
if not
maybe try to go to properties again
stay in the directory tab
mid-left, click on remove
then click on create directory
to create a new directory
it has to be an issue between .Net and IIS since i think you handle all your exceptions and the system error claims that there is an unhandled exception
i hop i am of any help

go to
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904
there is a tool that might help you modify the metabase access permission
i think it has a script in it that you need to run
instructions are there too

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.